Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im hearing some Hearing slight clink sound from rear right of my GTV V6.
Usually it only happens on small bumps in the road, not on speed bumps. ive checked some threads and its exactly the same as:

The knocking occurs when driving over the slightest of bumps in the road. Larger bumps don't seem to cause a problem. Over a series of small, closely spaced bumps the sound is a chatter (clunk,clu,clun,cl,clunk,clunk etc.)

ive checked all the rear bolts and tightened them all down and the only thing that is not tight is the Right side Anti Roll bar Link. on the bottom bolt it just keeps spinning no matter how much i tighten or unwind. its stuck and the joint is spinning with the nut. im guessing this is the issue? the other side is very tight and every other bolt except for the right side link has been torqued to spec.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've heard of noises similar like that from the front end of a car. In that case it was the top hats/top bearings for the shock absorber. I don't know if the GTV has those for the rear end, so it may not be relevant.

Might as well replace the components for the rear ARB first, it is a relatively inexpensive job to do, and it could very well be the problem although usually I would think it would make noise going over big bumps too. If you can move the bar with your hand to touch other parts of the suspension, then something is certainly not right there. Sometimes the ARB links have an allen key socket in them at the end of the thread, so you can use that and a spanner to wind/unwind the nut.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you do not hear noises on a smooth road, and as you say going over speed bumps, I would say anti roll bar links.
If both wheels move up and down together the links do not get stresses on them.
On a rough road with one wheel moving differently to the other and anti roll bar is stressing the links and making noise if there is wear.
I personally would replace both anti roll bar links.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also check the handbrake cable, i've had that slapping about on the rear pans and give the exhaust back box a shake as well.. that sometimes knocks when the rubbers start failing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you do not hear noises on a smooth road, and as you say going over speed bumps, I would say anti roll bar links.
If both wheels move up and down together the links do not get stresses on them.
On a rough road with one wheel moving differently to the other and anti roll bar is stressing the links and making noise if there is wear.
I personally would replace both anti roll bar links.
yes its only on uneven roads, small gaps in the road or sewage drain lids.
Also check the handbrake cable, i've had that slapping about on the rear pans and give the exhaust back box a shake as well.. that sometimes knocks when the rubbers start failing.
checked the exhaust and the hangers are all polyflexed rubber xD

·
Registered
617 Posts
of the nut is spinning in the arb drop link it could be fun to remove. be prepared with the grinder.

worth replacing these in pairs i’d think. sounds like most likely cause, also worth checking the condition of the ‘D’ bushes that hold the bar to the car in the middle while youre at it as they can clonk on uneven roads if perished.

great peace of mind doing the lot as you know it’ll be good for a number of years yet.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
of the nut is spinning in the arb drop link it could be fun to remove. be prepared with the grinder.

worth replacing these in pairs i’d think. sounds like most likely cause, also worth checking the condition of the ‘D’ bushes that hold the bar to the car in the middle while youre at it as they can clonk on uneven roads if perished.

great peace of mind doing the lot as you know it’ll be good for a number of years yet.
ye just ordered some febi links.. got the alfaholics ARB kit so everything should be ok :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts