Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The headunit is the next thing I will be upgrading in my Spider at the end of the month. I know there are numerous threads however I just need a confirmation if I have got the right bits in regards to fitting.

I am planning to buy one of those Xtrons units which look like they have the mounting built into it. I have already purchased the CT24AR15 panel adapter which slots in to my fascia panel fine (stock mine is just the standard non satnav panel). My question is that I'm not sure whether I need the panel which also has the mounting cage built in with it, so some confirmation would be appreciated.

If it helps I have included pictures of the side of the headunit I plan to buy along with the mounting bits.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
That is the correct fitting kit - I used one this weekend on my wife's car but shop around they can be found cheaper than that.

I fitted this unit but be aware that while it does have GPS it does not include SatNav software. Make sure you read the ad for any unit VERY carefully before committing to buy. Software is available for download but most are now either limited in some way or must be paid for. Again read the advertising on the software carefully before installing or paying for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-2-...277120?hash=item35f9076140:g:Mb8AAOSwwPhWlJex

Also try to buy the shortest unit that you can. With the adaptor wiring installed it is a very tight fit and a bit of a faf getting the wires neatly behind the unit.

Finally quite a few of the Android units are not true to double DIN standard and the opening in the adaptor plastic surround will need to be opened out to fit your new unit. This is on full display on your dash so if you aren't very handy find someone who is to do the work. Sides and top /bottom need to be opened up by 2 or 3mm.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
PS: If you don't need steering controls and are handy with wiring you can adapt the existing wiring and won't need the electrical adaptor. This saves money and makes it easier to fit the unit as there is a lot less wiring behind it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll need to be buying that caged part, I'm struggling to find anywhere selling it cheaper with the cables but maybe I'll find somewhere.

The unit I am planning to get has the ability for satnav however it says you have to download the apps/software which I am prepared to do.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Read the software information carefully. Almost every one is now crippled in some way and you will be forced to pay either through connection charges or if you exceed a certain mileage per month while using the navigation aid.

I do have a copy of iGo software that is 2013 maps. If you posted an 8 gig SD card to me I can copy to that and post back. Supply of iGo seems to be limited to manufacturers but if you have a copy making further copies and installing on additional devices doesn't seem to be restricted in any way.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Finally, when committing to the Andriod unit make sure that it is quad core. The dual core units sometimes suffer from stutter when multi tasking like doing sat nav and music at the same time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks again for your help and offering to copy the iGo software, I might take you up on that but I'll have to wait and see.

I have been giving this a lot of thought and reconsideration over the past few days and have come to the conclusion that the Xtron unit given that I am not really after too much probably wouldn't be the right choice for me. After a fair bit of analyzing I came to a decision and purchased a Parrot Asteroid Smart as well as the appropriate cage kit and cables from Dynamic Sounds who have been helpful confirming what I need. I also got a good idea from a previous thread of someone who had it in their Brera, along with watching some YouTube videos.

Each to their own I know it is not the fastest and most recent but I liked the potential and for the features I want I feel it should be fine touch wood. I also liked how nicely and smoothly it integrated with the dash.

I'll update how it goes when I get it fitted all ok hopefully at the end of the month.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I believe this is an Android device so the offer of the iGo software still stands and, while I haven't tried it yet, I now have what should be 2015 Q4 worldwide maps.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep it is pretty much Android, iGo is one of the Apps you can get. Again it is a very nice offer and is much appreciated, I will take you up on it if that is ok however it'll be once the unit is fitted and everything is all working properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts