Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gutted for a fellow Alfa 156 owner yesterday.... I performed an MOT on it had to fail his pride and joy:cry:

It was spotless and I really do mean spotless. The floors and sills were fine and well treated, IMO it would last another ten years at least. Only 25,090 miles on a Y plate 2.0 TS Lusso in Azzuro Nuvola, well serviced and very well looked after. Not even a single paint chip on the bonnet!

However.... The rear of the front top turret mounts were absolutely rotten!:wow:
Reason: Excessive corrosion within 30cm of a prescribed structural area.

A load of wet leaves had accrued under the black foam blocks and had been sitting there for god knows how long, giving the area a damn good soaking.
Needless to say it was only a matter of time before the paint blistered and let the dreaded tin worm to set in!

So go out and remove the blocks, have a good look guys and make sure you clean the leaves out. The owner was devestated that such a simple task had been missed and to know it would have only taken five minutes to keep it in check.

A friendly garage is doing the welding for just the cost of the materials as a favour to me so we can get the car through it's MOT so not so bad now for the owner.:thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i often wondered whats the point of those rubber smelly yokes. Fair play to you for helping him out :thumbs:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yep, good call - staggered how much rubbish builds up in there. I hate to frighten you, but, worth pulling the outer door seals back & checking around the rood bar mounts while you're at it. If you want to, take the scuttle covers off & see what's hiding in front of the bulkhead. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
when I changed the wiper motor this year I got a surprise - pure compost in there

cleaned it out and dried it, then sprayed nice stuff in

·
Registered
513 Posts
One of mine is missing and you could plant spuds in the damp crud in there, under the other side where the rubber still is it's full of dry leaves. Wonder if it's a blocked drain causing the damp and corrosion rather than trapped leaves?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Where/what in the name of Satan and all his little wizards are the front top turret mounts and should I be panicking?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Where/what in the name of Satan and all his little wizards are the front top turret mounts and should I be panicking?
OK - open bonnet, work your way around to the hinge mechanisms; either side of the hinge, two funny shaped bits of black foam. Give them a tug & they'll slide out, underneath is the nest of vipers referred to by the OP. The turret mounts will be the bits immediately ahead, that the suspension bolts to, or rather, should bolt to...:eek:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well good news, The 156 has been repaired today and I'm re-testing it tommorow, they charged the gentleman only £60 which is a good price considering the amount they had to cut out, grind and re-weld.. The wheel arch covers , whole suspension legs, rubber seals and even the plastic scuttle panel all had to be removed too.... An area of the loom had to be protected and parts like battery, ECU etc. all removed. A big job by all accounts

Harry, the owner is over the moon, he even got some matching Nuvola blue spray paint over to them to cover the primer they applied:thumbs:

I'm just glad to see such a pristine example of a 156 back on the road instead of heading to the breakers yard, that would have been a travisty considering it's condition otherwise:D

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Interesting - I've broken more than a dozen 156s and not seen any rotting like this - rotten floors - yes, rot on the inner wings around the brake pipe mounts - yes, rot in the front chassis legs and front crossmember - yes........but this is a new one on me.

I'll watch out for this, though. Can't see the point of the rubber foam stuff, right enough.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think its only function is to help keep the rubber tubing in place. the one that runs along the edge of the bulkhead.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting - I've broken more than a dozen 156s and not seen any rotting like this - rotten floors - yes, rot on the inner wings around the brake pipe mounts - yes, rot in the front chassis legs and front crossmember - yes........but this is a new one on me..
The last 156 I did some work on was absolutely rotten behind the wheel arch liner, where the sill meets the back of the front wheel well.:(:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts