Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight switch/stalk seems to be malfunctiioning, and I can't get the headlight flasher aspect, or the mainbeam to work.Dipped mode is ok. I have checked the fuses, and they are all good. Is the stalk prone to going wrong, and is it repairable? And whilst I am at it:D, ,,what is the relay that hangs down above the fuse box, with its own fuses mounted in it? I have the apparently typical problem with the windscreen wiper not functioning properly either, and was wondering if that was the relay that was responsible?.
Thanks for any and all replies..wish I could afford one of the workshop manuals for this car...but don't have the dosh till the car is sold...and can't sell the car with defects!! Haha!! talk about catch 22!:cheese:
Nick

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi Nick,
I'm no good with electrics but have a workshop manual for my future learning...
I just did in my hand quite badly this afternoon working on a boat. Can't sleep its so painful.
I'll have a look tomorrow afternoon and try and send something to you.
Cheers.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Not sure what your car is but if it's a 105 the headlight switch is prone to problems, especially on full beam when the full power is going through the switch rather than a relay like on a modern car. You may find you can get full beam if you hold the switch down rather than just knocking it into position. Not ideal I know, but I got mine through an MOT like that!
:eek:
Failing that it's a new column switch. I got a good used one off Ebay. Alternatively you can buy refurbished ones from the usual suspects.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had the opposite problem - when I turned on full beam BOTH low & high came on at the same time. Fortunately I was able to fix that in the wiring up of the relays I added without having to change the switch. I don't think they are easy to take apart for DIY repair but you might try some contact cleaner on it. When you do get it working again add relays to save damage to the switch in future and you get brighter lights as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You too, Guy Daniel? Seems to be catching!! I had a cutting disc on an angle grinder explode, and a piece of it cut through my welding gloves, and opened up the back of my hand to the bone!! Healed up in 2 days though, with the helpof some butterfly strip plasters! Thanks for the very kind offer!
Ricksalfas..yes it is a series 3 spider 1989. Good advice and tips..thanks!
Cosmo..yep!! Relays are the answer!! I am going to substitute some new switches and relays. Thank you too!
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ouch! That must have hurt. :wow:

There has been previous discussion on relays, have a search and you should find my wiring picture. If not, I'll post it again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorted!! Was just a wire broken off inside the steering wheel shroud!
Thanks to Guy Daniel, Mound Dog et al for the help!
Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts