Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people!!
I am the proud owner of a 1997 2.0 16v, absolutely love it to bits, amazed to find this site after being a 155-head for over 3years!!, great site, great to know there are 155 worshippers like myself -a big hello to all of you. Especially excited as getting my car back from the workshop today after minor rear end shunt by git in a mazda 121 - hence the 'minor'. Recent problem with my head lights, am sure they are not as bright,why? i remember my first drive when i had to keep checking the full-beam was off as i wasn't used to the excellent visibilty the 155's lights gave me. The bulbs are halfords replacements but were ok after initial installation. Looking into the bulbs they look a little foggy, normal or not?
ps i'm down in bucks, never seen another 155 - except where i work where unbelievably another guy has an identical one.
any ideas on the lights?? let me know guyz

thanks, raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah forgot to say, i drive with my lights on all the time cos i think they look gorgeous!! raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Raj
Wellcome to 155 world. Your bulps shall be bright clear inside; so better go and replace them, they got damp insite.
If this doesn't help, your headlight lences might be dirty indside - they can be cleaned but it an involving job. You remove outer lences and glue them back together.
Good luck
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI Elp
thanks for your reply. since i last wrote i discovered Henry Yorkes review of H1 bulbs. he recommends the use of vision plus (philips) items. his review is on line (www.Alfa155.co.uk) so i'm gonna order me a set. incidently i swapped round the bulbs from the main beam into the dipped lights and it's already improved things as this bulbs are newer. Hopefully when i get the philips ones things will be back to normal or better!!
thanks again
raj

·
Registered
715 Posts
Glad the review helped.

Incidently, I tried some blueish sidelights the other day from Halfords for £4 and they were crap. You may as well stick to standard ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'lo guys.

I use the halfords ultra blue lights... I thought they were quite good. Definately a marked improvement over the standards buld that were in that car anyways. So i now have them on all 4 front lights... 2 main beams and the 2 fogs.

I've not tried the Philips yet... i'll give them a shot when one of these lot die... ho hum... just gotta wait now.

Raj : i have to admit the car does look very imposing and stunning when it appears out of nowhere storming up behind you with lights ablaze (and rear blinds down to help blackout the back of the car... tee he he)

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jason and Henry
thanks for the comments! glad someone agrees with me on th 'lights on' mode! i have a reputation amongst my friends on being ever so slighlty sad when it comes to my motor, but i just can't help myself, there is no other car i could imagine wanting to own right now. I'll try the tip with the blinds down. What model do you own? any special little touches you recommend to give a 155 that little bit extra??
let me know
take care
Raj

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I too drive with my lights on - much to the amusement of my wife and friends! But they're oviously meant to be on all the time - why else would they power on / off by the ignition switch?!

On to the brightness issue - my dipped beam lenses are a bit cloudy and I wondered about trying to clean the inside with spirit and a long cotton bud. Not got around to it yet though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rich,
my lenses i feel are also suffering from that 'misty' look, i'm also toying with the cotton bud idea, but knowing my luck i'll end up making a bad job worse. incidentally, Sutton Coldfield, is'nt that fairly close to Nottingham? i spend my time between aylesbury and Nottm and wouldn't mind attending a meet at either venues should there be a significant interest. just in case i see a 155 bombing around what does yours look like?
raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the cotton bud treatment might ber a bit of an akward task.

if you don't mind yer car not having lights for a few hours in the street... take them out and sit them on a radiator for a few hours.. or maybe play with a hairdryer.

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Guys!

Forget about cotton on a bend stick and hairdryers ect. ect. if the lenses have a "misty" look you have to clean them properly, with spirit or isopropyl-alcohol, and i order to do so you have to disassemble the headlights (or anyway remove the frontglass).
I've done it and its quite easy, the frontglasses are fixed whith clips and are easy to remove and reassemble. The only "problem" is getting the complete headlamp off, that takes some time...You have to remove (in this order), the plastic cover above the lamps,the side indicators, the painted "rails" under the lamps, air-grill, and then the lamp fixed with 3 pcs. 8mm bolts.

By the way in Denmark it is prescribed by law to drive with headlights on all the time.

Merry christmas everybody

Christian U

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Christian - thanks for a reply from someone who has done the job - does it remove the 'misty' look on the 'projector' style lens and did you notice the difference in headlamp performance?

And Raj - Sutton Coldfield isn't too far from Nottingham, but much closer to Birmingham, about 8 miles north of. There was a failed attempt at a meet near Birmingham, due to venue problems, but I might look at sorting one out early in the new year, a few expressed an interest when it was mentioned before. I'll post on here when I think of a suitable venue.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Richward

Yes it did remove the "misty" look on the projector and the inside of glass, but remember to use a very very very soft cloth (i used one for eye-glasses)
I did notice a slight improvement in light-performance when driving, but the lamps were not that "misty" before. I also did it because i don't like when things look old and worn-out...especially when i can fix it for free

Christian U

1 - 13 of 13 Posts