Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight washers have packed up again.

When I bought it they were kaput, but a new relay under the dash and a new non-return valve behind the dash sorted the issue.

The relay appears to have failed again.

I have HIDs fitted so the washers need to work for MOT.

Does anyone know of an alternative washer relay that will work in the car?

The original broken one was an Alfa Part, the replacement part was new old stick Range Rover.

Anyone got a part that fits and has a decent lifetime?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the washer motor has an inductive coil in it, which makes sparks as the relay tries to open again. get a relay with a diode between ground and switched live so the inverse current from the induction coil has an alternative path.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assume I know nothing, which isn't too far off the truth. What diagram? What does a diode look like?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Not sure how soon you need to get it sorted, but I have a spares car which has factory washers.

I will be there about the 12th of jan (wisbech) and you welcome to just have what you need. (all was working perfect before I took the engine out)

·
Registered
565 Posts

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure how soon you need to get it sorted, but I have a spares car which has factory washers.

I will be there about the 12th of jan (wisbech) and you welcome to just have what you need. (all was working perfect before I took the engine out)

Nice one. May well take you up on that offer if I can't find an alternative. If I get a chance I'm going to stick in a basic non-timed relay just to check it is that that's fried, if that works I may well go to a breather and see what they've got. It is crackers as new 0.5 second timed relays are £45+ where I have found them. That's ridiculous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts