Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A somewhat trivial problem by alfa standards but my headlight washers don't seem to be working and I'm trying to resolve if possible!

Alfa check system light is on showing windscreen washer bottle empty, I've checked handbook which is as clear as mud on headlamp washers, and filled the washer bottle right up (sensor somewhere obviously doesn't like something as light is still showing on, but I don't know what it covers other than low screenwash)!

I am persuming there is only one bottle to top up which has two pumps running from it(windscreen and headlamps).

Also, the handbook mentions that the headlamp washers are timer controlled, I don't understand what this means as it doesn't say anymore than that about it. Could they be operated automatically when wipers are on or off the stick??

Can someone please attempt to shed some light on this, oh and as far as I'm aware there are no leaks and I've checked for loose pipes to and replaced one that was off, but still to no avail!

Cheers all MAK

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok Mak, I've got a 155 V6 but I wouldn't imagine there's a huge amount of difference with a 164 so I may be able to help.

On a 155 there are indeed 2 pumps and one bottle. The headlight washer pump only operates when the headlights are on......I have no idea what 'timer controlled' means! Can you disconnect the windscreen pump and maybe listen to see if the other pump runs or not?

The other problem could be the fancy little circular Y splitter (somewhere along the line the pipe will split into 2 to feed the 2 washers) that also acts as a non-return valve. On my car this was gummed to buggery and wouldn't let water through. I prised it apart with a small screwdriver and cleaned it. The top part of it contains a tiny little piston affair with a spring behind it (hence non-return) and this needed cleaning as well.

Lastly, have you tried cleaning the nozzles with a safety pin? These quite commonly get gummed up, especially if you're in a hard water area.

As I say this experience is from a 155 so it isn't gospel for you.

Good luck, I'm still struggling with a leaking water bottle that looks like it's a 'wing off' job to get out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok Mak, no worries, the timer controlled pump just means that the relay which operates the headlight washers has a timer circuit so it gives a high pressure pump a fixed time burst of electricity to prime the pump and build pressure then spray. However these faults are always difficult to cure as so many things are linked in to the systems, give me some time and i will work on it. By the way, can you here the pump work? If not you could check that there is a feed and earth when being operated, just to narrow the search a bit.Seeya NR

·
Registered
443 Posts
Stefan, I've got a diffrent car again. A 33 P4 but I also have a leaking water bottle!! And in my case it is a 'wing off' job. I'm going to make it my mission this week to sort that out.. Race ya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the guidance all, does sound like 155 is pretty similar Stefan. Anyway after turning the headlights on and trying it again, (I feel like a complete prat) one side does work but the other side doesn't so pump is ok, phew (thats probably the expensive bit ok for a change) maybe this can narrow it down Numan and you may have an idea?

Also one of the little jets is missing in the windscreen squirter I've noticed, is it easy to change the two jet nozzle or are they a nightmare Numan, because it still sprays water ok just not as accurate!

cheers for the help

MAK

·
Company Director
164 Posts
I've also had the water bottle problem, but mine was cracked! This apparently happens because of the high temperatures in the engine bay. Thats why the late 155 have a more clear bottle than the earlier ones, must be a different material. The leak was at the front of the bottle, sort of near the pumps, and i could just get my hand down there to fibre glass it a bit (I'm tempting fate here!) and it still seems to be o.k.
I think i would rather remove the expansion tank and then take the bottle out, than take a wing off my baby!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The expansion tank is easy enough to move (only a few screws hold it on place) but it still seems impossible to get the water bottle out!

The problem is the bottle pretty much fills the space underneath the expansion tank. The wing is on one side and a huge engine bay strut is welded in on the other side. No manner of jiggery pokey, squeezing, brute force or swearing at it will get it out.

Am I doing something wrong? Advice would be appreciated.

Steve - The vaseline idea sounds promising.....gonna give it a go, shouldn't take long. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts