Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning, I can’t hear my headlight wash working. In previous cars you get a noticeable second pump sound when the operate.

The handbook says the headlight wash should operate when you activate the windscreen washers when headlights are on.

Should they squirt every time you wash the screen with headlights on?

Trying to work out if they are broken, or my expectation is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, the headlight washers should squirt every time you activate the windscreen washers while the headlights are on. Both headlight washers don't work? A common fault on the 159 ist the Y-valve (PN 71718908) that gets corroded, and this would results in only
one side working. But you can hear the pump working? So I would check the pump and the wiring.

If you have MES or AlfaOBD, you can activate them seperately for testing.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have MES, thanks I’ll have a play at weekend

·
Registered
218 Posts
Daft question but have you checked they are not disconnected? I have them on my 159 but noticed when the car was being Mot'd last year and up on the ramp that the hose had been disconnected. Not sure why they would have done this unless the front bumper has been removed previously for whatever reason and they simply forgot to reconnect the tube? I think it was just behind the bumper at the FNS I could see the tube hanging.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Daft question but have you checked they are not disconnected? I have them on my 159 but noticed when the car was being Mot'd last year and up on the ramp that the hose had been disconnected. Not sure why they would have done this unless the front bumper has been removed previously for whatever reason and they simply forgot to reconnect the tube? I think it was just behind the bumper at the FNS I could see the tube hanging.
It'll be the previous owner fed up of the front of the car being covered in washer fluid all the time or doesn't want to repair the Y shaped valve. When they work, it also uses a silly amount of water!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s a good point. Previous owner may have just pulled a fuse to stop them engaging

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, fuse and relay are fine. I fired up MES and when I execute the ‘headlight washer’ I hear a motor/pump whirring so problem must be in the pipework.

I can’t see any leaks underneath so I guess the y valve has failed and seized shut.

Does anyone have a part number of the valve?

I’m guessing it’s a bumper off job to replace it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi. The part no. is: 71718908 (as mentioned above ;) ). It's not as cheap as it looks like, especially if you know that it will fail again in a few years.

I managed to do change it on mine without taking the bumper off, but I lifted the car above my head on a ramp. If you don't have access to a ramp, it should easier by taking the bumper off.

Here are some pics (not mine): https://www.alfaromeo-online.com/forum/topic/23206-probleme-de-lave-phares/

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£50 seems a bit step, considering what it does. I have a few old washer valves in the garage, think I’ll try one of those before I fork out for a genuine part!

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, this is an expensive part for the little it does. It is basically a Y valve and a stop valve. Eventually you can find the two pieces seperately. I bought the original one, since the headlight washers needed to work for french MOT (which was due).

Pleas post your results, If you find a suitable work around.

Cheers
Stephan

·
Registered
228 Posts
I forgot, you should be able to check if it is really the valve by blowing compressed air into the hose that comes from the washer fluid tank.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve got these in the shed, so hopefully be able to find a solution!

Reactions: jwq

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one of those in my box of tricks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just came across this Fiat/Alfa part.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=alfa+7667888

I don't know at alle if it suitable for the headlight washers, if it is the right diameter, nor if it it works the same way.
But it is a lot cheaper.
I'm hoping its correct - it would be a nice alternative, the original one has 6mm diameter pipework (from memory) so is oversize compared with other washer stuff. Anyone know what diameter these are?
Ive done mine with separate non return valves and tee pieces, but it cries now as the non return valves wont hold the water. These look like a good alternative.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm hoping its correct - it would be a nice alternative, the original one has 6mm diameter pipework (from memory) so is oversize compared with other washer stuff. Anyone know what diameter these are?
Ive done mine with separate non return valves and tee pieces, but it cries now as the non return valves wont hold the water. These look like a good alternative.
Pretty sure you'll find the diameter is too small, this one is for the windscreen washer not the headlights which had a much larger diameter tube. Sorry! At least you know what needs replacing so you'll only need to pull the front bumper once!
Guy

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I repaired the original valve (it has 8mm fittings for reference)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lots of epoxy resin!!. Refitted it and the washer now work, but sadly the valve is leaking a bit so I will replace it with a non return valve and ‘Y’ price which I have ordered from amazon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts