Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I detailed my 166 aver the weekend, a good wash, a claying, then a final deep wet shine wax.

I wondered what would happen to the very poor milky headlights if I clayed them.
Beautiful! the task took 5 minutes, I didnt have to use a resto kit, nor did I have to put a clear coat on afterwards.
Two uses from one product, in this case meguiars Quick Clay detailing system.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you clay the whole car? How long did that take? Watching a couple of youtube videos, they seem to spend a long time on a very small piece of the body to get to the point where there's no longer 'resistance'. Perhaps that was just for show. Also, what's the risk of inadvertently damaging the paintwork? Cheers.

·
Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
302 Posts
FWIW,

on my '01 166, the headlights had gone dull, sort of beige in colour. When replacing a bulb a couple of weeks ago I noticed a small cobweb in the corner of one of them so decided to fish it out, removing the high beam bulb and inserting a long tie wrap. In the process, the nylon tie warp rubbed off the inside of the glass and removed a line of the dirt inside. The cleared track was noticeably viable from the outside.

Queue securely gluing a small bit of soft sponge to the tie warp, adding a bit of string to the top to allow the tie wrap to be articulated inside the housing and ten minutes of light cluster gymnastics the lenses are restored to near their original clairy.

V.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I am so not offended!:rofl:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for this, when the 3.2 returns from Autolusso I can sort the headlights without buying another product.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a day washing, claying and polishing

Did you clay the whole car? How long did that take? Watching a couple of youtube videos, they seem to spend a long time on a very small piece of the body to get to the point where there's no longer 'resistance'. Perhaps that was just for show. Also, what's the risk of inadvertently damaging the paintwork? Cheers.
There is still a little tar left to clay out, but the car looks great.
It does take several hours, but the results are great.

No risk of damaging paint as far as I know.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah claying the paint work does wonders. No real risk of damage, plenty of water or soap and gentle rubbing with the clay bar. Used it for years and man does it make a difference!

Great for a lot of thing like freshening up rubber trim that’s gone milky from years of old residue but I’ve never tried the headlights!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts