Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm doing a short trip to the continent next week and since i don't have bi-xenons, i'll need to get some headlight converters. But I'm hesitant about getting the Halfords sticker set as they left horrible glue marks on my previous car that were impossible to remove. :mad:

Don't want this for my new Giulietta obviously so wondering if anyone has suggestions on alternatives? I know that some drivers use black insulation tape, but will this also leave annoying glue marks? Or would it be sufficient to just change the beam level to its lowest position?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
I use those eurolights from halfords or the tinternet all the time. I find plenty of hot soapy water will get all the glue off, as long as the plastic layer between the rubbery top and the glue itself has been removed. Also I only ever use one, on the passenger headlight and never had people flash, as the drivers side light doesnt reach that far over...

·
Registered
34,401 Posts
as above but I find the glue on the "Beam Bender" stickers comes off with the sticker if you pour cooled-down-a-bit water from the kettle over the lamps and starting the removal carefully.The packaging recommends heating the lens up by laving the lights on for a while..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, so many options! I'll try washing the glue off the old car first then and see what result I get. Based on that I'll decide which method/product to use for the Giulietta.

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just out of curiousity, why and how do you need to change your headlights when going from UK to mainland Europe? Does it have something to do with the lights being designed to be driven only on one side of the road?

N

·
0 Posts
Just out of curiousity, why and how do you need to change your headlights when going from UK to mainland Europe? Does it have something to do with the lights being designed to be driven only on one side of the road?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The lights have a beam that is designed to light up the side of the road to show pedestrians that might step out etc. In UK beam goes to left, so in Europe it would blind oncoming cars. Tape just masks of the higher triangle on that side of the beam.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Don't bother.. :D

How many European LHD cars do you see with beam deflectors? :tut:

As usual.. The French and Germans.... I mean the EC... makes the rules, only the Brits follow them. So blind the cahns..! :D

Petrol will dissolve the glue. If you have polycarbonate headlamp lenses, don't "scrub" with glass cleaner etc. just "dab" with petrol to dissolve the glue.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 145 you can change the headlamp settings from left to right. It would be a pity if Alfa have not incorparated this in their later models

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The trouble is, modern cars have so much "stuff" behind the nose that it's impossible even to change the headlamp bulbs without taking the whole bumper off, never mind changing the reflector dip-angle.. I think it's called "progress".. :D

Ralf S.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts