Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a condenstaion on the inside of my headlight lense, what causes this and is it something i should get seen to?

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi got same prob, started after I replaced headlight bulbs only on the N/S though check the light covers are on tight .

·
Registered
13 Posts
A hairdryer should get rid of all the condensation; though you may need to spend a bit of time drying the light out. After that try to see where the water was getting in. The seal between the body of the light and the glass can sometimes be poor. And you can put a small silica pack inside the light body to soak up moisture as well.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Agree with grange99 I had this and the seal in between the lens and the light body was perished take light out and with a thin bead of Ct-1 silicon clear round the seal of the casing, try it and see or check bulb cover plate first

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi fixed mine, it started after I changed both Headlight bulbs. Took cover off and put a sliver of sealer around the seal then put a couple gel packs in, put it all back together took a few hours to clear all condensation its fine now.Did it just start or have you took cover off latley if not it may be the seal as Grange 99 said

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
In summer it's easy .. take the covers off and leave the front of the car in the sun for an hour or so. Bingo!

Put the covers back on though!

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
It's a pain - mine (RHS) has been dried twice already now, it always comes back. It's better in summer, it's been getting progressively worse in colder weather.

I'll try the silicagel method!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i take it you just put in the silica packs when car is parked up and remove when condesation removed?
When you say the seal, do you mean i need to tale off the glass from front of headlight and then put bead of silicon round the seal there, or is it the seal at the back where the bulb holder goes in to the actual light casing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
You need to take the bulb access panel off the rear of the lights, then blow a heater or hair dryer at the lens until the condensation clears. If there are actual droplets, chances are there could be more water in the light unit and it'll just return. If that's the case try blowing hot air into the light unit through the where the panel goes on. Anyway, leave the lights a little while then replace the panel. It's best done on a dry day. If there's rain or humidity in the ,the air you trap inside the light will be damp and when the headlight lens cools (e.g. overnight) condensation will re-form. If this happens you can remove the panels and drive around with them off but for goodness sake put them back before it rains!

Of course none of this stops water getting in in the first place. On my GT water seems to collect on the top of the headlamp and run down the back of the unit on to a conveniently located tab, where, if the seal between the panel and the light were anything less than watertight, water would creep in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had this problem, but now sorted - dried out with a hairdryer, silica gel sachet inside the cover, bead of silicone grease around the seal. ALSO, it seems that water drips off the inside of the wing straight onto the headlamp "bulb hatch"; sorted this by running a thin bead of silicone along the edge down to where it joins the front panel - this now stops any water dropping onto the headlamp case !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had this problem, but now sorted - dried out with a hairdryer, silica gel sachet inside the cover, bead of silicone grease around the seal. ALSO, it seems that water drips off the inside of the wing straight onto the headlamp "bulb hatch"; sorted this by running a thin bead of silicone along the edge down to where it joins the front panel - this now stops any water dropping onto the headlamp case !
Did you leave the silica sachet in the cover? if so where?

·
Registered
32 Posts
On mine it was down to the clip for the rear headlight cover not being fitted properly. Once it was reattached correctly the condensation was no more!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got condensation on my front drivers side light on my 2006 GT. I've found that one of the metal clips securing the back of the box where the lights are is missing and that is where the damp is getting in.

Does anyone know where I can get a new one or even if they are sold? not going to buy a new light just for that, would rather make a new one myself.

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi take the back cover off and place them in the back of the unit and leave them there also put some sealer on the cover ie silicon will do when you put it back together that should solve problem.I was looking at an Audi the other day a big 4 wheel drive thing expensive 40k or so 1 headlight on that had the same prob so its not just Alfas

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will taking it off and putting them where lightbulbs go in solve it tho
ugh, isn't there glass between that and the actual glass that has the condensation on it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes thats right then place the packs inside and close the cover i would put some silcon around the seal first
but there is glass between the bulbs and the actual headlight glass on outside is there not? If so then surely they wont dry out the condensation?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts