Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights in the G are rubbish anyway, it doesnt help that mine are mis-aligned, the drivers side dipped beam sits about 3 inches higher than the off side. Every car I see seems to have a nicely illuminated peice of road in front of it and its at a point now where oncoming cars drown out the light in front of me, i need to turn my front fogs on to see anything properly although road markings/signs reflect nicely I suspect this is because my beams are too high and misaligned.

I've tried adjusting before, it made no difference and Im worried now as to what I have ended up adjusting, about a year ago i had a go at this and tried turning the green highlighted metal posts, again it didnt adjust beam height but what did it adjust? what have I done!? :D

Having checked the lights again this morning I've spotted the things highlighted in yellow and red, I am guessing these are the adjustments i actually need, but there are two? Which one does what?

Any advise to both my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi,

Yup my headlights are awful even after adjusting and fitting new Philips bulbs. i seem to have very week cut offs with alot of "haze" above them. The Mito courtesy car i have currently seems to have better light output which is just mad on Std bulbs and set very low.

The two plastic adjusters (Red & yellow in your pic) do up down/left right on the dipped....metal one if for the full beam in relation to the dipped.
Lower - (red) - does up & down
upper - (yellow) - does left to right.

Best idea is find somewhere dark and quiet like an industrial estate at night and get out to fiddle with a nice long screwdriver with a hex piece. Makes adjustments alot easier.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
38,259 Posts
Personally I don't find the Giuliettas headlights too bad.

You have to remember that they are projector style lights, and IMO they are usually worse in terms of output than the older reflector type.

The reason they are used is because they are more compatible with HID's and they look better in most cases.

My BMW 5 series, and my Dads Merc CLS, both of which had projector style lights with regular halogen bulbs were much worse than thos on the Giulietta. In fact they were borderline dangerous.

My second 5 series had facory HID, and projector lights and even they were pretty rubbish.

In contrast our old Ford Focus, with regular unbranded bulbs (and reflector lights) has excellent light output.

Progress isn't always a good thing.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Firstly, are your bulbs seated properly. That makes a big difference. Secondly, There are levers underneath the dipped beam bulb that change the cut off from \_ \_ to __ __ and it has been known for these to be set the wrong way from the factory (although it is useful if you are travelling abroad - don't need beam benders). Might be worth a check.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree with @symon. My old pug 307 had brill headlights and the newer 207 my OH had was better still. Both had reflectors with cheapo main dealer light bulbs.

The standard lights in the Giulietta are better than my old corsa C projectors... But I am still considering an aftermarket HID kit as it's not great visibility in utter darkness.

I am thinking about night breakers or similar if HIDs are not a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i have Philips 12972-XVS2 H7 X-Treme Vision 100% bulbs, I think there are stronger ones available so after i attempt my adjustment if im still not happy then I'll go and get a pair.

No idea if they're fitted properly, i tried to fit my last pair but failed miserably and had to get a garage to put them in for a fiver, is there a way to check? e.g. am I just checking the clips are up fully, that theres no wobble etc?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The headlights in the G are rubbish anyway, it doesnt help that mine are mis-aligned, the drivers side dipped beam sits about 3 inches higher than the off side. Every car I see seems to have a nicely illuminated peice of road in front of it and its at a point now where oncoming cars drown out the light in front of me, i need to turn my front fogs on to see anything properly although road markings/signs reflect nicely I suspect this is because my beams are too high and misaligned.

I've tried adjusting before, it made no difference and Im worried now as to what I have ended up adjusting, about a year ago i had a go at this and tried turning the green highlighted metal posts, again it didnt adjust beam height but what did it adjust? what have I done!? :D

Having checked the lights again this morning I've spotted the things highlighted in yellow and red, I am guessing these are the adjustments i actually need, but there are two? Which one does what?

Any advise to both my questions would be greatly appreciated.
the one in the bottom/towards the center of the car (plastic) is the height adjustment. the other plastic one is left/right adjustment.

the metal one is up/down adjustment of the H1 high beam relative to the dipped beam.

The light you see from the oncomming traffic is not what they see. They suffer the same issue as you, nl that 90% of the projected light mirrors off the road in the wrong direction.

Only solution is to change the angle at which the light hits the road, but this shortens the throw of the lights obviously.

you could fit HIDs, but there's the legality issue.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the one in the bottom/towards the center of the car (plastic) is the height adjustment. the other plastic one is left/right adjustment.

the metal one is up/down adjustment of the H1 high beam relative to the dipped beam.

The light you see from the oncomming traffic is not what they see. They suffer the same issue as you, nl that 90% of the projected light mirrors off the road in the wrong direction.

Only solution is to change the angle at which the light hits the road, but this shortens the throw of the lights obviously.

you could fit HIDs, but there's the legality issue.
Ive adjusted the height, its better, still not great. I think part of the issue is my last car (civic) had HIDs and they are now sadly missed.

I think I'll just have to put up with this as a 'G issue', still love her though :)

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Replaced all my headlamp bulbs with Philips Extreme vision +130 and they certainly seem brighter. I also took the advice on here and raised the main beam by about a full turn and this seems to have extended the range of light I have now. Oddly they don't seem to be as good as my previous 2 Giuliettas (on standard bulbs) and I cannot think why - unless it's just the rubbish on the roads at the moment.

One thing that made me smile though was after trying to change the bulbs on my first giulietta for over an hour, I did all four in 14 minutes flat: took a photo of the inside of the headlight before doing anything and then unplugged, unclipped and replaced. More good advice taken from Alfaowner!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts