Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlamp washers haven't worked for a while which is a bit annoying but not the end of the world. Now I hear that the new MOT regulations require them to work if fitted so I'd better try to fix them.

Initially I thought it was the pump and bought another one but that didn't work either and I discovered that there is no power to the wiring for the pump. I'm guessing it could be a fuse or a relay that's gone but the handbook isn't very clear as it seems geared to LHD cars and my fuse board doesn't look anything like the one in the book.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Just checking, but you do realise the headlights need to be switched on for the headlamp washers to work don't you?

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
If it's the same setup as the 155, then you should have 2 pumps... one for the regular windscreen doodah and the other for the headlamps.

You have no power at the pump.. but you can check if everything else works by sticking the connector for the windscreen washer on the other pump. When you work your windscreen washer, the headlamp washers should work. If so, the pump is good and the pipes are clear.

The chances are the connectors are just perished. The copper wire becomes oxidised (green) and brittle or the spades get grubby. Clean up the insides of the connectors thoroughly... If you can find a nail file, slide that in and out of the connector.... or if it looks really bad, cut out the connector and graft on a new bit of wiring and a new connectore. That should be all it needs.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Ralf, swapped the connectors over and you suggested and the headlamp washers kind of worked. The drivers side one squirted all over the place and the passenger side one dribbled, they haven't worked for about 2 years so I guess the jets have got out of allignment and have got a bit blocked.

I'll try some electrical contact cleaner and a file and I guess it'll be ok. I couldn't get the headlamp washer wire to stretch to the screen washer pump though so I hope the wiring is ok.

Many thanks again

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I don't think the headlamp washer nozzles are adjustable, so unless they're obviously pointing in the wrong direction (which would suggest that they are), don't try to force the round bits into a different direction, in case they snap off.

The washers are just a simple plastic tube with gradually narrowing pipe... so they could just be full of algae or scale/scum.. You may be able to sort them out with a pin into the nozzle holes. Also the passenger one is further away from the washer bottle.. so just using them (to get all the air out of the pipe) will improve them.

The nozzles themselves are bolted in from behind with a big plastic nut and it's a bumper-off job if you want to get access to them since that bit of the bumper is in front of the front crossmember so you can't get at the nut with the bumper on the car.

New nozzles are aboout £60 from memory... :eek: (a fox ate the ones on my 155 once... must've been after the alcohol :lol:) so really don't get physical with them..

New/clean connectors will almost certainly fix it.. but as well as where the spades connect to the blades on the pump, also make sure that the spades themselves are getting juice. The connection between the wire and spade connector itself may be damaged (brittle/corrosion).

If you rig up a bulb on the end of a couple of male/blade connectors you can plug that into the spade connectors and see if it lights up when the washer is activated.

If the bulb lights but the pump doesn't activate then (since the pump works) you'll know it's the connection between spades and blades..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
221 Posts
mix a cup of vinigar and half a cup of washing up liquid into a 3ltr milk bottle fill with water and then run about 1 8th through your washers. the combination of vinigar and the washing liquid is really good at losening gunk. fill the washer bottle with the rest and use on a regular basis in genorus amounts. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
right, got the connectors swapped over so now when I try it the headlamp washer pump works and the windscreen washer pump doesn't. I've soaked everything in electrical contact cleaner but still no joy. Could it therefore be a fuse/relay?

Headlamp washer jets do adjust, they're like a ball and socket so will move in all directions, they just get stiff when they're not moved for a while.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If you look under the dashboard where the fuse box folds up to, to the immediate right of it you will see a bank of 7 fuses. One of the two yellow 20A fuses is for the headlamp washers (sorry I forget which of the two it is). Just check to see if any of them are blown and re-seat them again in case they have come loose. See the following picture...

http://tinyurl.com/7q92hof

The headlamp washers are also controlled by a timer relay that switches the headlamp washer pump on for a preset period of time. It's quite possible that this has become faulty or loose in it's connection block. This is located on a separate bracket immediately above the fold up fuse box and can only be accessed by first removing the piece of trim to the right of the steering wheel. It's the tall black relay on the far left in the line of relays that are immediately below the black electric window control unit and the yellow CODE immobiliser ECU. See the following picture...

http://tinyurl.com/83urtdm

HTH :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks GE, I think one of those is the most likely culprit, I'll have a mess around with it. Fuses are obviously fairly easy to get but any idea where I could get the relay if needed? Had a quick search on Eper but couldn't see it (or maybe I'm blind!)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The Alfa part number for the headlight washer timer relay is 7607295. It's a Bosch part and was £45 a few years back so you can probably expect to pay at least £60 for a new one at today's dealer prices.

Might be worth trying to get hold of a second-hand one from someone who is currently breaking a 145/146.

Alternatively, Hella also make timer relays that are compatible. Try Hella part number 5WD 005052-00 from a classic Land Rover / Range Rover. There are a couple of used ones on eBay at the moment.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks very much thats very kind. At that price I'll just buy it and if it doesn't fix it at least I'll have a spare

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks GE, the new relay did the trick, washers are working now, although drivers side one is way off, it squirts almost vertically so I'll need to try to adjust it. I think the nozzles swivel in their sockets but mine won't budge so I'll try soaking in WD40 for a bit

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Be careful with the sockets.. it could just be that the jet is partially blocked.

I can't remember what my new '55 ones looked like but it seemed to me at the time (when they were new/clean) that they were moulded and therefore not adjustable. Which would make sense.. since they face the headlamps and are just 2" or 3" away.. there's not much need to adjust them..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got a spare pair of washers, I'll try messing about with them first. Jets can't be blocked as fluid really blasts out with some force (and gives the bonnet and roof a good soaking :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts