Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background : I'm looking to do a headlamp washer retrofit on my car ( not 159/Brera/Spider ) and the 159 ( for brevity ) style headlamp washer may be the one of the few acceptable options I have.

First of all does anyone have a detailed photo of the inside of the bumper to show the washer jet mounting method? Having looked at the washer jet, I imagine that they push into the hole and rotate into plastic latches moulded into the bumper. Or would a kind person with a spare bumper take a photo of the inside of a bumper to show them. I presume that all the bumpers where headlamp washers were an option are moulded the same and that ones intended for washers just have the holes punched after moulding.

I could probably work it out when I have a sample washer jet, but it would be nice to see the factory method.

And that brings me onto the second item. I've had a look around for a used washer jet ( eBay, some breakers ) but without any success so far. Does anyone have a pointer to a possible source or maybe a spare? I don't mind buying new parts if I'm sure they will fit but at this investigation stage I'd prefer to keep the costs low.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
funny, first thing I usually do on new car is disable them....
They mostly create a mess on the bonnet etc.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps a little background is in order.

A few months ago, I took my 916 GTV headlamps apart, removed the tungsten halogen dip beam projector units in their entirety and fitted Bi-LED projectors instead.

A pair of these ( Dmex E2 ) -

Sounds easy, but it was a phenominal amount of work. But oh so worth it because the lights are now fantastic. Not only in light output but also in respect of how well the dip beam is formed.

Obviously the headlamp unit itself is no longer type approved and even if I were to pay someone like Thatcham to do a low volume type approval on the lights ( not going to happen as I'm not made of money ), they probably wouldn't pass modern standards as the basic design is around 25 years old.

So I can't do anything about that but I can address the other two elephants : self levelling and washers. The self levelling is done and it works very well indeed.

I now need to get washers in. They're largely useless I think and may spend most of the time disconnected and only connected for the MOT :) , but I want the car to be as legal as possible and that means using type approved parts with high pressure pump and jets.

The only thing unresolved are the jets. The 916 washer reservoir even has a position as standard for the high pressure pump - all I have to do is drill a 20mm hole in the tank, fit a rubber grommet and insert the pump.

There are three main considerations for the jets. Getting washers that fit the car ( there is very little bumper ahead of the bonnet and of course the lights are behind the bonnet ), getting the water to hit the lens and not the edge of the bonnet 'porthole' and also getting a solution that is as unobtrusive as possible ( they need to be almost invisible ). I've looked at various telescopic washer jets and nothing really satisfies and even with telescopic washers I'd have an unsightly cover that doesn't fit with the car too well. The 159 washers may work if the jet can be angled sufficiently to miss the edge of the bonnet.

A further consideration is that I would like the parts to be AR. Fitting 159 parts to the car is an anachronism, but they are still genuine AR parts!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're in luck!
My bumper is off at the moment and probably will be for a few weeks.
Here are some pictures.
Let me know if you need any more ?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's fantastic, thank you. So there seems to be a collar moulded to the bumper and the jet latches into that.

If you're stripping the bumper down, a photo of the fixing collar with the jet removed from the collar would be great but please don't disassemble it on my account because the plastics may be a bit weakened by age and I wouldn't want you to break anything. Or run the risk of chipping paint around the jet.

That's helped enormously. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts