Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My headlamp washers aren't working on my 2008 147 and I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the problem.

I changed the headlamp washer pump as I wasn't sure if the original one was working, the replacement definitely works now but the jets do not raise out of the bumper when the pump activates (bottle is full, lights are on, no fluid seen to be leaking from anywhere so pipes should all be ok).

Are the jets activated by fluid pressure or is there some electrical device operating them?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

·
Administrator
87,066 Posts
Fluid activated jets. Have you checked the fuse F09 ( 20 Amp ) in the fuse box beside the battery.

Also FYI the washers only activate on Dims not fulls IIRC.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that, surely if the fuse was blown the headlamp washer pump wouldn't be working? The pump works fine but the jets don't rise from the bumper and therefore nothing comes out of them

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fluid activated jets. Have you checked the fuse F09 ( 20 Amp ) in the fuse box beside the battery.

Also FYI the washers only activate on Dims not fulls IIRC.
Its the fluid bottle that's full, not the lights on full :)

Need to get the washers fixed, apparently its a new MOT requirement this year for headlamp washers to be working where fitted.

The headlamp washer pump can be heard running about half a second after the screen washer pump but the jets don't come up out of the bumper. I've pulled them up manually and removed them and blown them through to check they're not blocked. No fluid seems to be coming out anywhere so I guess the hoses haven't come off. Is there some kind of one way valve or something in the hoses? Maybe thats knackered?

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Is it possible that you've connected the electric supply to the pump the wrong way round?

I've not looked at one, so don't know if it is a connector that you can get wrong or not!

There are usually one-way valves in the hoses.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Need to get the washers fixed, apparently its a new MOT requirement this year for headlamp washers to be working where fitted.

[/QUOTE]

Understand this only applies to cars fitted with HID headlights, where automatic levelling and washers are required for MOT.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Understand this only applies to cars fitted with HID headlights, where automatic levelling and washers are required for MOT.
Almost.
They are not required for HIDs, they are required to work if you have washers and/or levelling and HIDs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible that you've connected the electric supply to the pump the wrong way round?

I've not looked at one, so don't know if it is a connector that you can get wrong or not!

no, connector only goes on one way due to its shape

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

connector only goes on one way but I get your way of thinking

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Its the fluid bottle that's full, not the lights on full :)

The headlamp washer pump can be heard running about half a second after the screen washer pump but the jets don't come up out of the bumper. I've pulled them up manually and removed them and blown them through to check they're not blocked.
dickyb, is it OK to pull the washers out of the bumper? On my 156, the nearside one seems to be partially blocked and I'm wanting to pull it out to clean it, but there is a resistance there and I'm afraid I'll break something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts