Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new cambelt and water pump fitted to car (pump was noisey and thought leaking wasnt) then had a new radiator fitted was leaking now got a very slight leak from oil cooler pipe (rubber hose) but i have signs of water in oil and oil in water header tank which when has run for a while is hissing and really pressurised, if it is the head gasket thats faulty what sort of job is it and approx costs involved. thanks in advance of replys :confused:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sounds like its gone, sounds even worse than mine was. You'll need to get the head skimmed etc...i had lots of other mod's done when mine went but i think just to fix the head gasket your looking at £700

You may be able to use the same cambelt and waterpump if they are brand new which will save you a bit?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Bad timing if it has gone...if it had been done at the same time as the belt change it wouldn't have hurt so much.

But....get the header tank sniff-tested (any garage will be able to do this for you). It *might* be a faulty oil cooler, although you normally only get the oil/water mixing one way (can't remember which way either...).

The water system will pressurise when the engine is hot. If you're seeing a boiling-effect in the expansion tank though, it probably is the head gasket...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts