Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted an Alpine 9881 a little while ago. Great head unit and was/is fantastic.

However, I have been having problems with the car's battery running down. I came back to it after a week and it was drained down to 2V. This is a new battery fitted last Christmas...I fitted it because the car (garaged) was flat after a couple of days.

Since the only "change" I've made to the car is the head unit I'm assuming it's draining the battery. There are no lights left on or such like.

I have refitted the factory unit pending some idea of how I can inhibit the Alpine unit when the ignition is switched off (as I fitted it it was "live" all the time i.e. I could use the radio with the ignition off).

Can anyone advise if this is possible? Am I barking up the wrong tree with this?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
indeed, alpine headunits (and presumably others) still remain in standby and draw a bit of current UNLESS the ignition/ACCessories (RED) wire is completely disabled. the GT does not have a dedicated IGN wire in its plug.

refer to the thread about installing headunits for details:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/153629-how-to-install-aftermarket-headunit-a-guide-147-156-gt.html

basically, two good options include:
1. adding an inline manual toggle switch to the alpine's RED wire and mounting the switch under the dash: it's what i have and offers the ability to still have the stereo running without the key
2. redirecting the RED ACCessories wire to a 'switched' +12V wire (0V when ignition key off, +12V when key on): the cigarette lighter wire is suitable

:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OEM Blaupunkt one offers a menu facility that switches the unit off after 0 or 20 minutes of the key being turned off. I've tried this on both settings but it doesn't seem to make much difference!

Really annoying as I want to play MP3 CDs and my OEM head unit isn't compatible!

·
7,713 Posts
The OEM Blaupunkt one offers a menu facility that switches the unit off after 0 or 20 minutes of the key being turned off. I've tried this on both settings but it doesn't seem to make much difference!

Really annoying as I want to play MP3 CDs and my OEM head unit isn't compatible!
moot point if you're refitting the alpine.

but the 0/20 minute feature worked on mine if i recall.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does, but not how I expected it to.

Called in at a local ICE place on the way home and they'll re-fit the Alpine with a link to cut it out completely with the ignition off for £30 so that's what I'll do.

Thanks for replying.

·
7,713 Posts
geez. UK$30? a DIY toggle switch would have cost you a bit of time, and probably no more than UK$3 for switch and a bit of wire. :p

glad it's sorted though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right, but electrics and me just don't mix. There are some things I won't tackle (open heart surgery, drunk women, etc) and electics is one of them.

Pommy wimp that I am! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,105 Posts
I hope it solves your problem.....
A dead battery within a week would mean your draining about 300 mA per hour, which seems excessive for just a radio in standby....:confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheap way of eliminating the head unit. Next step is diagnostics at auto-electrician which is going to be expensive I fear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts