Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking ways to either install head unit or attaching mp3/ipod adaptor to existing head unit. My Alfa Romeo 147 is year 2002. Basic requirement is to have a mp3 player, if possible to have mp3 playlist display. Tired of CD skipping.

I am thinking of two choices,

1) Head unit, I have found out the adaptor (CTSAR001), steering controls for my 147. The following single din head units, picked from UK website, Alpine CDE-111RM, Alpine CDA-9883R and Kenwood KDC-W7044U. Would this unit works with the steering controls ?

Since I am from Malaysia, not able buy the exact model here. Take Alpine for example, CDA-9883R (UK) vs CDA-9883E (Asia), the model name slightly different. Do not know if is similar. For other brands like Kenwood KDC-W7044U is simply not available here.

Actually there are many head unit choices over here but may not work with steering controls. I am thinking of buying from UK, might be expensive due to shipping charges. Please advice.

2) mp3/iPod adapter - I am looking at either Dension or Connect2 ipod adapter, which one is better ?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Alpine UK-spec 'R' models (eg: CDA-9883R) have an inbuilt steering wheel control interface, that is programmable, so you don't need the CTSAR001. but other markets (eg: Malaysia, Australia) do not have this model; Oz also had the 9883E. Alpine are the only brand that has some models with the inbuilt interface.

you have to check the specifications for each model to ensure they have a steering wheel control input socket. for example, Alpine call this 'Steering Wheel Remote Ready'. both the 9883E and 111RM are like this.

Kenwood call it 'OEM Remote Interface' (you will need the CTSAR001). the KDC-W7044U has this socket.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alpine UK-spec 'R' models (eg: CDA-9883R) have an inbuilt steering wheel control interface, that is programmable, so you don't need the CTSAR001.
You mean just plug and play CDA-9883R with original 147 socket plugs, no need for additional adaptors ? If so, it would be great, no need to buy adapter. :)

On alpine-asia.com 9883E is listed, not much info on website, have to check local availability. I wonder what is the difference between europe & asia versions.

shiny_car, since you from Australia which head unit did you install ?

Hey, thanks for info.

·
7,713 Posts
the 9883R is nearly plug-and-play. you have to join the wires yourself (headunit = bullet terminals; Alfa = mini-ISO plug). but once it's connected, then you programme it easily.

it's also a superceded model. so i'm unsure if you can find a 9883R easily.

i actually have a CDA-9885R. i imported it from the UK! in Oz, we only had the non-R CDA-9885. the 9885R is also silver/grey, whereas the 9885 is black. so the R suits my GT dash much better (the other reason i bought it).

i think the inbuilt interface is the main difference between UK 9883R and Asia-spec 9883E. the tuner/radio sensitivity could be slightly different too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just read the CDA-9883R & CDA-9884R pdf manuals, it looks CDA-9884R is the unit I am looking for, with USB connections.

I thinking of importing too, searching UK websites that ship head unit to overseas customer. Most website deliver to UK only. :(

You must be having a great time with your CDA-9885R :)

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
i use the kenwood interface.. never had any issues withthem. had in my ford,mazda opel and now the GT.. its all plug and play.. it breaks down to your preference in HU i guess. ol school alpine fan. i think personally the newer stuff is not on par

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to have Kenwood on my former car, quite easy to navigate long list of directories & MP3 files. The sound is good too. Have not try Alpine before, either one is OK to me. Main criteria is to have mp3 player + steering wheel controls.

·
7,713 Posts
I thinking of importing too, searching UK websites that ship head unit to overseas customer. Most website deliver to UK only. :(

You must be having a great time with your CDA-9885R :)
it's a decent headunit. i should have added that i bought it off ebay-UK. yes, it can be difficult finding an online store that will ship overseas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts