Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I have to confess to being a bit of a luddite when it comes to car audio, so apologies in advance if this question is a bit numptyish...

My recently purchased Gtv came with a Sony X-plod head unit fitted. I am sure it is perfectly up to the job but it is so vile to look at, totally out of place in the cars interior. Also it is massively confusing to me. I have given up with it and instead have just bought a bit of a retro head unit that appears to have much fewer buttons, features, lights, etc. but from a quick google appears to be of a decent quality and actually looks passable:

Pioneer P77MP

Now, as my Gtv is locked away 30 mins drive from home, I would like to make sure that come the time I go to try and fit this new stereo, I can have all the bits and bobs required to hand.

What leads do I need to get hold of to connect the above headunit to the Gtv's harness?
Does anyone also know how I can get a aux in lead to connect to this setup? Just a normal 3.5mm jack, as am not an apple user.

If anyone can point me to a direct link on ebay or somewhere else, I would really appreciate it! Sorry for being dim, Tom

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
If you're buying it new it should have the connectors and lining cage etc. When I fitted my 916 head units I had to remove the carpet sections from the side of the centre console, (easy, just some screws) as the previous unit had been bolted in from the back so the usual frontal removal tools were no good. I fed A rear USB up into the back of the glove box so that it looked neater, (provided the Pioneer has a rear USB), and means that iPod can be kept out of sight.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, not a new unit, it is from around 2003! Will I need some kind of adaptor to join the headunit to the audio loom? if so, what type?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just did a quick google on that head unit. It should be like the one in this link.

Retro Rides - Pioneer DEH-P77MP Headunit For Sale!!!
Yes, that's the one. It has been very many years since I last fitted a stereo in a car, I just seem to remember that every car needs the specific adaptor wires to connect to the different makes of stereo..

Or maybe things have moved on since then as it was quite some time ago

·
Registered
432 Posts
My P1 Spider has ISO connectors. If your is the same then you will need an ISO adapter 'loom' As per picture 3 in that link. For your Aux you will need the other converter mentioned as well ..

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Postie brought me my new (old) headunit today. Amazingly I managed to install it myself, as it came with the correct loom/wiring to connect to the car. I'm very pleased with it as it seems easy enough to use and is a lot more discreet than the previous sony unit that was fitted.

2013-05-20 13.39.24 by vespaloco, on Flickr
A little bit of fiddling with the controls and it actually does quite a decent job with the original factory fit speakers - I'm not going for an award winning ice install here, just wanted a simple radio that doesn't flash/beep etc every time I look at it.
Next is to source the aux in lead for connection to phone - anyone have any good ideas as to routing of this lead to the central glove box?
One small annoyance is that the radio does not turn off when the ignition is switched off - is there a work around this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts