Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 1.8 156 ts with a problem, started about 8 wks ago when i took to a garage with water in the oil. aparently there was a split in the head gasket. so they repaired it and everything was going ok untill three wks later it stated overheating again. the water was full of oil, off we went back to the garage, before we take the head of again they said, it may be the oil coolant system we'll change that. so again i had the car back, a wk later its back at the garage. i personally think origanally all they did was just replace the gasket and didnt get the head tested, anyone else had probs like this ?

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Sounds like they may just have poured Radweld into it!

Did you see the old gasket?

The oil system doesn't go anywhere near the coolant so I'm a bit unsure what they mean by changing that.

The oil and water can only really mix at the joint between head and block - the oil channels are separated from the coolant channels by 8mm of gasket.

Or at the foot of the liners.. they liners sit in the coolant and an O-ring at the base keeps the coolant from dribbling into the oil.

My guess is they didn't fit the gasket properly (which includes not skimming the head, if it was warped) or they didn't torque down the head enough.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for that mate, i think it wasnt done right from the start, i think they only changed the gasket

1 - 3 of 3 Posts