Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when the weather is cold i get a waxy substance on top of my coolant. i have been informed that it is o rings in the head that become brittle and crack. i no that i will not cause a problem in the near future but i would like to sort them out.
Its a 156 V6
i am hoping to find an engine diagram or procedure to follow and the 2 gaskets and o rings needed.

if anyone can help

R

·
0 Posts
sounds like the head gasket then, do you get smoke and/or excessive steam coming from the exhaust? Also check your oil filler cap for signs of a creamy looking substance (like mayonaisse) could be a sign of a head gasket leak.
Does your coolant level need topping up regularly? and how about your oil level?

Get it sorted ASAP, that can seriously damage an engine.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The O rings are at the bottom of the cylinders not the top, and its probably not them. If oil is mixing with water, most likely it will be a head gasket, or if you are unlucky like I was, a cracked cylinder

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
robf781 said:
Also check your oil filler cap for signs of a creamy looking substance (like mayonaisse) sure sign of a head gasket leak.
'Mayonnaise' on the oil filler cap is NOT a 'sure sign' of head gasket failure! It's quite normal in cold weather; the cure is a good long run to get the engine thoroughly warm.

·
Registered
200 Posts
white cream doesnt mean headgasket failure , cool running , short journeys, and poor or old oil will have the same results, try the simple things first.

R

·
0 Posts
Dave Brand said:
'Mayonnaise' on the oil filler cap is NOT a 'sure sign' of head gasket failure! It's quite normal in cold weather; the cure is a good long run to get the engine thoroughly warm.
I was meaning that as well as the smoke etc. I didn't realise you could get it in normal running. Edited now anyway ;)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
DavidC mentioned that you can get some antifreeze which changes colour if combustion products get into coolant. Sorry cant remember the name at all.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Rob 156 said:
DavidC mentioned that you can get some antifreeze which changes colour if combustion products get into coolant. Sorry cant remember the name at all.
yep, "4Life Advanced Engine Coolant".
It is red in colour but turns yellow in the presence of combustion gasses.

"4Life Advanced Engine Coolant
An advanced Coolant which you put into your cooling system UNDILUTED and will provide 10 years of anti-freeze protection down to minus 42 degrees C and corrosion protection to cast iron, brass and aluminium forming a protective barrier with no corrosion impurities or lime scale. It has a high boiling point of 180 degrees C enabling coolant levels to remain constant even under arduous competition conditions and an anti-foaming agent to reduce hot spots."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts