Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....
Not sure if i am being paranoid or not.
when topping up oil (just over half litre / 1000miles)noticed "mayo" on oil filler cap. Car runs normally, starts well.
I have checked the cooling expansion bottle and there is no loss of pressure, when the cap is unscrewed the volume expands slightly as expected.

This was after a cold spell with no decent journeys, 5 mins here, 5 mins there etc. After 2 x 15 min run tonight Mayo has all gone.

Any advice gladly recieved, I have been reading some of the other posts and can`t come up with a definitive way of sussing it out.

Heres to hoping that the Mayo is just condensation as 60000 mls service due.

Thanks for any help
Pete

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you're only doing short journey's then that could be the cause.

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My head gasket manifested itself by mayo deposits in the header tank, which seems to be more common on 155s from what I've read here. I never had anything under the filer cap.

I reckon it's nothing to worry about, especially if your water level isn't falling (as it would if it was seeping into the oil).

Ralf S.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further checks this morning revealed white smoke that I always thought was just hot exhauast. Also found some mayo type gunk on the right of the header tank which I thought were just deposits.
Also recalculated oil consumption and we are on about a litre / 1000miles so higher than I thought----- though this could also be other problems.

AGHHH!!!!!

Isd there any definitive way of checking

Pete

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Simple definitive ways to check - take it to a friendly local garage and ask them to check the coolant, saying you suspect a blown gasket. They should be able to do a quick chemical test that determines if there is any carbon monoxide (I think...) in the coolant. (look here... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?search=true&item_ID=11389&PartNo=YA2000&group_id=1505&store=snapon-store&tool=all )

Other quick check is a coolant pressure drop test. Also used to diagnose leaky headgasket.

Both are non-invasive and shouldn't cost too much.

Beats all the guessing about a bit of sludge.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you may also find that the cooling system is being pressurised by the comression of the engine. If this is the case the hoses will build up pressure very quickly after start up from cold. Best test is the chemical block tester kit referred to in previous email. My head gasket failed this year and I managed to change it myself. If garage does it you are looking at 500 quid easy due to the number of hours. can also be checked by puttting exhaust gas analyser in expansion header to detect for exhaust gases.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top, thanks lads, just wanted to know there was a definitive way to check... Will book it in and see what results are.

Pete

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you go to a local garage they may do the test for free. Mine did.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My V6 has had thin browny mayo-esque slime on the walls of the coolant tank since I got it, the oil is always clear and no mayo in engine, uses no oil at all, and virtually no coolant. My friendly local mech tells me this is residue from engine work or someat.

I can't clean it out as it is all stuck to the walls of the tank, does no harm though!

Ho hum

Andy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you take the tank off and stick some Hairy Liquid in there and shake it about a bit, it'll come up all gleaming.

Or you could try that Cooling System cleaner sold by Halfords etc. It stinks a bit but the tank will look like new.

Ralf S.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the chemical check for exhaust gasses, all OK!! so will still spend the £££ on the car but on fun stuff

Pete

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ralf, I have found that this addage works well with Alfas

If it ain't broke, don't prat about with it 'cos it soon will be!

Andy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My old ship has a "certificate of merit" FROM Fiat.

It says "The sale of parts used by this car has saved the Fiat group". eek!

Ralf S.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts