Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question for the engine gurus....I've got a CF1 cylinder head that i'm hoping to use as part of a CF3 rebuild but what gasket should i use? Stick to the CF3 MLS gasket or use the composite gasket from the earlier engines?

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
Another question for the engine gurus....I've got a CF1 cylinder head that i'm hoping to use as part of a CF3 rebuild but what gasket should i use? Stick to the CF3 MLS gasket or use the composite gasket from the earlier engines?
You have to make sure the head is in really good condition as the metal head gasket does not compress much, we would never fit a head unless it has been fully reconditioned but then we guarantee our engines, as a minimum I would get it skimmed

Ned

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
good advice ned - we'll have a good look at the head and see what's what...are the composite gaskets a "safer" option then?
It could potentially knacker your CATs. Probably doesn't make a lot of difference at this time in its life though...

A good skim should be ok, but to forewarn you, I've always had to remove the valves for it to be done.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
good advice ned - we'll have a good look at the head and see what's what...are the composite gaskets a "safer" option then?
Yes, composite gasket = CF2 and much stronger pistons, metal head gasket = CF3 lighter pistons but weaker and liable to cracking and high oil usage especially following cam belt failures

If you want to use the composite head gasket you will need to swap all 4 pistons but you will end up with a stronger engine

Ned

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm - mine has had a huge thirst for oil since i've had it and now possible evidence of earlier cam belt failure in its life....maybe going down the CF2 piston and gasket route is a good option.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm glad i've read this, i have a CF3 to replace with a hole in the block, but i'm using a composite Alfa Head gasket set (this is an me guessing as i havnet checked it yet) and a CF2 Block and pistons...

What make the CF3 pistons weaker than the CF2? are the lighter?

·
Premium Member
45,112 Posts
I'm glad i've read this, i have a CF3 to replace with a hole in the block, but i'm using a composite Alfa Head gasket set (this is an me guessing as i havnet checked it yet) and a CF2 Block and pistons...

What make the CF3 pistons weaker than the CF2? are the lighter?
Yeah they're a fair bit lighter.. You would think thats a good thing for revving, but I always feel that the CF2s rev better. But they haven't got 3 cats so that probably helps.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Yes, composite gasket = CF2 and much stronger pistons, metal head gasket = CF3 lighter pistons but weaker and liable to cracking and high oil usage especially following cam belt failures

If you want to use the composite head gasket you will need to swap all 4 pistons but you will end up with a stronger engine

Ned
Anything that's hit something else is liable to crack (but that is why I NDT them when I rebuild an engine) , but if the engine is rebuilt CORRECTLY after a cambelt failure then they should not use any more oil than before and in reality should use less as the engine would be "as new" and have all new gaskets.

But for the op, you should use the metal type gasket to keep your compression ratio correct.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts