Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My 156 1.6ts SW would not start the other day ticked over but no fire. Tried more fuel=nothing. Got the AA out and he said was the HG as could hear compresion and smell fuel via the water filler bottle. Ok so going to change the HG to keep me going until can afford to buy something else. Couple of main questions......

1. I need to know the engine code in order to buy the correct HG, Where do i find this? The Chassis number is ZAR932000*01222360 .

2. will i get away with just changing the HG for now or will other stuff need doing at the same time, same as when u do timing belt for example water pump, variator etc?

Thanks All

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I'd do some more investigation work before I went to the trouble of changing the head gasket. It'd have to be very very seriously gone to stop the engine starting like that.
Get a compression test done before you go any further.

·
Registered
30,036 Posts
1. I need to know the engine code in order to buy the correct HG, Where do i find this?
On the chassis plate.
32205 for a CF3 1.8TS (which is what your VIN number says you have. NOT a 1.6TS........)

It also says it is a Saloon, not a Sportwagon........!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I'd do some more investigation work before I went to the trouble of changing the head gasket. It'd have to be very very seriously gone to stop the engine starting like that.
Get a compression test done before you go any further.
I agree 100% with this. What other symptons do you/did you have before the car failed to start? Head gaskets don't just fail in the night while the car is parked. I have the greatest respect for the AA and RAC guys but sniffing for fuel and listening in header tanks is a new one on me to diagnose a head gasket.
Generally speaking when a head gasket fails in the way he's suggesting the coolant would blow out from the header tank like fountain. Even then there is every chance the engine would run on the unaffected cylinders. Definitely get more checks done before you start.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree with rockhopper get a second/third opinion before getting any work carried out and if it does turn out to be the HG try not to cut too many corners ( get the head pressure tested/ buy a full HG kit/give it to someone who has worked on alfa's before etc).

oh and you might aswell have the belt/s and water pump changed or examined while there down there and make sure who ever does the work has the correct cam locking tool.

hope this helps

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi mate is your car a selespeed or a manual?
also is your car a 2000 Xreg or a 2001 Xreg?

im only asking because as David C says the Vin u have given is for a 1.8 and a Saloon,

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If it had failed between all four cylinders so there was no compression then it could but how likley is that to happen!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much so far......heres a bit more info.....

X reg 2001 SW 1.6TS, Manual, Petrol, Black and bit dirty ;)

It did have trouble starting a couple of weeks previous, tried to start for about 30 mins then i ran batt down. I charged batt for about 3o mins then started fine, once started ran rough until warm, it did over heat a few weeks back but i did have leaking rad which i changed and was then ok but did start to overheat again the day before the AA came out but i presumed it was something to do with the rad again??

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Righty ho then time for me to test the compression first, thanks guys :)
You can do that but I would do some basic checks for why it wont start first. Have you got a spark at the plugs? Have you got fuel pressure? If you have both then check your compression.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts