Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got the Spider back after one of the head gaskets went. Both heads skimmed, valve stems done, new water pump, cambelt and followers, aux belt, full service including plugs, driveshaft gaiter, brake pads unstuck and new anti roll bar.

Not cheap but reasonable and, as usual, great service from the guys at Avanti Ipswich. In a way I was lucky as it was due a cambelt service and I could have had this done and THEN have the head go.

Almost at 100k miles and now it is fixed here's hoping many more.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've just got the Spider back after one of the head gaskets went. Both heads skimmed, valve stems done, new water pump, cambelt and followers, aux belt, full service including plugs, driveshaft gaiter, brake pads unstuck and new anti roll bar.

Not cheap but reasonable and, as usual, great service from the guys at Avanti Ipswich. In a way I was lucky as it was due a cambelt service and I could have had this done and THEN have the head go.

Almost at 100k miles and now it is fixed here's hoping many more.
Just about to start to do the head gaskets on my GTV, can you tell more about the failure as it seems to be a rare occurrence on a V6.
Looking to do the same amount of work on mine but hopefully will be a diy job.

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Richard,

Not a lot to tell really. I was on the M25 about 3 miles from the Dartford tunnel heading anticlockwise towards the A12. All good, no signs of anything wrong. I routinely glanced at the instrument panel and saw that the temp was just past 110. Turned heating full on as I made my way to the hard shoulder - cold air so coolant loss. I managed to get to the hard shoulder before the red light (130) came on. Lifted bonnet and it was obvious that the coolant had exited by the pressure cap - excess pressure.

Filled with plain water once everything had cooled down and it ran normally - got the AA to relay me anyway. Pressure and dye test at Avanti confirmed head gasket failure. Looking back I had noticed the odd stain on the filler cap over the preceding month or so - thought nothing of it - so I guess the level dropped to a point where the inevitable happened. So I guess the gasket leak had been there for a while getting worse.

Apparently it was "only" the front head between two cylinders.

Not a lot to go on I know - but hope it is of some use.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks or the reply, interested as the front bank gasket has failed on my car without any symptoms at all. First sign was steam behind the car and on inspection water leaking from the front of the head at the gasket. Thankfully the car is a weekend toy so once I have some time I intend to remove the engine and strip and rebuild the heads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts