Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks doing a head gasket job,but i have a little problem are the head bolts reusable or are they stretch bolts first time head been removed i think ,wish i had'nt botherd to be honest it was clean as a whistle must be oil cooler gone for snotty header tank and fooked rad for overheating d'oh,any advise would be welcome thanks in advance,oh it's a 2ltr veloce 156 2001 y reg in met black :thumbs:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers ,so i should be ok then :) and it is 20+40+90 deg 3 times for torqueing down head is it ?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
They are stretch bolts so should be replaced but many people don't (including me) and have got away with it (including me!!)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Autodata has them as reusable.

C

·
0 Posts
They're not stretch bolts and are reusable.

There may be a maximum length specified somewhere in elearn though.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
They are 100% stretch bolts, the tightening sequence given in the workshop manual is ONLY used for stretch bolts.
Tightening sequence is nothing to do with stretch bolts, it's to stop the head from warping. They are not stretch bolts.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
any bolt that is subject to heat as well as torque, stretch thus data to check length and for the sake of 30 odd quid dont skimp in my eyes........

C

·
0 Posts
Well duh, but that doesn't make them stretch bolts. As I've already said I think there is a maximum length specified in one of the workshop manuals but I've never need to replace any with new ones. So you're just wasting your money IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow that was a debate :lol: well on a brighter note waiting for me new water pump and genuine head gasket to be deliverd,if i get new bolts were is the best/cheapest place to get them,and thanks for the replies folks :thumbs:

C

·
0 Posts
When it comes to head bolts, I think the best advice anyone can give is to make sure the threads in the block are free running, ie free from corrosion and other debris. You can clear them out using an appropriately sized tap or by cutting grooves lengthwise into an old head bolt.

With bolts that go into an alloy block it's always wise to use some alloy paste on the bolts but I this case copper grease wouldn't go amiss.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guy's for info ,will have to use old bolts on a budget and this car is gonna take some money ,still to buy is cambelt kit,rad,and oil cooler is the oil cooler a alfa only part as i can not find anyone selling them

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
thanks guy's for info ,will have to use old bolts on a budget and this car is gonna take some money ,still to buy is cambelt kit,rad,and oil cooler is the oil cooler a alfa only part as i can not find anyone selling them
ring dan at autolusso:thumbs:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quick update,went to fit head today,thought i'll give the head bolts a clean up glad i did ,one of them had a fracture ! thank god i seen it before i torqued up could of been a right pain,well new bolts orderd just waiting for them to come now so hopefully next week some time my head will be back on at least,mined it's getting blinking cold down here now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts