Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
i really dont see what all the fuss is about with that joke, who would be offended by it?

some people are way to precious and on a mission to be offended by anything and everything, even to the point of being offended on behalf of someone else who they asume must surely be offended by it:rolleyes:

get a life and get over it.

i guarantee that joke has been doing the rounds in afganistan and iraq for years.

it is typical squaddie humour.

jimmy carrs only 'crime' is nicking the joke from the army.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What was the joke though?? I looked on youtube and can't find it :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
He said that we are going to have a great 2012 para-olympics team owing to the war on terror. This was said at a live show - not on TV.

Distasteful - Yes.
Typical of his humor - Yes.
Funny - Not in my opinion.

It's no worse or better than all the jokes that appear within hours of a celebrity passing away or 'coming out'. Humor is a very subjective matter.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i really dont see what all the fuss is about with that joke, who would be offended by it?

some people are way to precious and on a mission to be offended by anything and everything, even to the point of being offended on behalf of someone else who they asume must surely be offended by it:rolleyes:

i guarantee that joke has been doing the rounds in afganistan and iraq for years.

it is typical squaddie humour.

jimmy carrs only 'crime' is nicking the joke from the army.
Thats a good post, having spent some time recently with military types I can confirm that they have a real sick sense of humour and even me "the ultimate sicko who would laugh at a dog eating a tramps vomit" found some of the things said quite shocking, but very funny. :lol:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm with you on this. It's very similar to the Russell Brand/Jonathan Ross debacle a while back. In that scenario there were less than a handful of complaints about the actual show, until the Daily Mail wrote an article about it over a week later (after the next show had been broadcast, and Russell Brand had already apologised). Once the Daily Mail readers got hold of it they were shocked and offended by something they hadn't witnessed, merely because they were told they should be.

I the case of Jimmy Carr, I thought the joke itself was qute funny. I know a few squadies and they think it's funny.

Someone's personal sense of humour is just that, personal. One person will laugh at one joke, and others will be disgusted. I think we can all accept that there are jokes that we as individuals have found hilarious, yet others have found distasteful.

To the people who are livid over this joke, would you be more or less angry if it were someone other than Jimmy Carr (who is obviously someone you don't like)? Let's imagine that the loveable, cuddly John Sargent said it on Argumental (he's said jokes as bad), would you be as aggressive toward him?

We've all retold jokes that are the same, if not worse than this.

If we start censoring comedians, where does it stop? We can't have jokes about paraplegics. We can't have jokes about olympic gold medal winners. We can't have jokes about politicians. We can't have jokes about the Queen. We can't have jokes about stereotypes. We can't have jokes about...

Did you hear the joke about the chav in the blinged up beamer? No? I'm not surprised, as no one will tell it in case it offends anybody.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If we start censoring comedians, where does it stop? We can't have jokes about paraplegics. We can't have jokes about olympic gold medal winners. We can't have jokes about politicians. We can't have jokes about the Queen. We can't have jokes about stereotypes. We can't have jokes about...

Did you hear the joke about the chav in the blinged up beamer? No? I'm not surprised, as no one will tell it in case it offends anybody.
Its the way this Island is heading unfortunately that we are fast becoming a humourless society, just about every joke could, if we analyse it enough, be seen as offensive and as a previous poster stated there are too many people being "offended" on another persons behalf. Laughter is the only thing that the Government has not taxed or made illegal so lets not give them any ideas. If you dont find a joke funny then dont tell it at parties or to your friends that way you wont offend them. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don't know what the joke was but if Happy Man said he found it offensive then he found it offensive. I doubt that he is on any "mission" at all. You don't have to be the butt of a joke to be offended by it, just have a personal moral compass.

Not exactly the same point but a similar concept: I have never been bullied but I have a deep repulsion of bullying. Am I wrong to be offended on others behalf?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
As I've said before I found it offensive, and at the risk of repeating myself I also know serving and not serving military staff who felt the same.

I'm not on any kind of mission about Jimmy Carr, Find most of his material pretty repellant especially the Paedophile stuff.

This particular joke was in the public eye at a time when young men and women are being maimed and killed and right before the festival of Rememberance.

My point is let squaddies have the gallows humour I've no problems with that but don't expect me to not voice my opinion.

I personally think he had a cheek appearing on national TV wearing a poppy after that joke.

those who posted on here just to stirr the brown stuff don't bother any more as I've chosen to lock the thread it's my rant and I've had it :p

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.