Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the hazard lights that come on under reasonably hard braking pressure?

I'm a photograher and have had the pleasure of using a Press Mito for a week.

I'm considering buying one, however i drive my cars quite hard and do track days and this feature is seriously putting me off!

They come on nowhere near full preasure on the brakes on the car we have.

Oh, and Alfa UK Press are still giving out cars with the wrong settings.

Think it's terrible that they would still do this. Were very sheepish on the phone.
The ride on the first car was pretty bad. I now forgive some of the comments made by Autocar etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
972 Posts
I thought the hazards only came on when the Brake Assist was in operation - but seemingly not from what you're saying here. I know the Vectra I had previously used to flash the brake lights when I braked hard; not sure about the Alfa's though.

I can see why you'd want to turn this feature off on a track, but I've always thought it's an excellant safety aid on the road. I wonder whether the test car you drove was too sensitive because I drive my Alfa (159) pretty hard and have never had the hazards flash.

John.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it's a useful safety feature during an emergency on the motorway for example.

On a blast on your favourite B road it's very frustrating!!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i hard them flash twice with me yesterday, its bloody annoying. they come on way too soon, i was nowhere near full braking pressure

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my 159 about a month now. On my car the hazards only come on when the ABS kicks in. Now the roads are wet and leafy this could be a problem I guess but on my car both times the hazards have flashed I have really been standing on the barkes.

I drive hard and have never found them over sensitive - yet!

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I find it reassuring to know that following cars are made fully aware of any hard braking, although it came as quite a surprise the first time it occurred :p

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Yeah, they do come on a bit too soon. In some instances they can be useful (e.g. motorway) , other times they can be embarassing/annoying (eg country lane)

·
Registered
157 Posts
yes but it is highly irritating when you are going for a blast on your own private roads and other people think you are having a problem because the hazzards flash when clearly your not.

I would rather disable this nanny state option.

·
Registered
17,196 Posts
about two months ago, i was behind a new Volvo coupe/convertible. It braked hard enough to trigger (in its case) a rapid pulsation of the rear brake lights, the first time i have seen this in action. I know the intention was to warn me it found a reason to stop in a hurry, but i just thought 'pretty lights' :) (i wasn't close enough to have to brake any harder than i needed to anyway).

i think i prefer Volvo's solution, rather than Alfa/Fiat's; you only really need to alert the car behind you that you're braking hard - Alfa's and Fiat's system warns other all road users who can see its indicators that 'something' has happened to initiate the system...i'm not sure if that's entirely necessary? I would leave the auto hazard switch for airbag deployment situations.

Anyway, i'm sure both systems have their pros and cons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Totally Unacceptable

I have just taken delivery of a new 159 1750Ti and I have to say that I love everything about the way that it looks and drives with one ruinous exception and that is these nanny lights. Is there any way that they can be disabled or set to a more reasonable level of activation?

·
Registered
68 Posts
airbag deployment situations.
So you mean when you have smashed into something?

Have had these lights come on a couple of times, can honestly say I dont find them annoying in the slightest, if your braking that hard for a corner such that your standing on the brakes ,I would think you have better things to concentrate on than if your hazards are flashing or not.

·
Registered
17,196 Posts
So you mean when you have smashed into something?
yes. it's been a feature on most mercedes and other cars for a few years now. Even the little Renault Modus has it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
only had them come on once and i was going some and came round a bend to see stationery traffic:eek: forgot that the mito had this feature but have never seen it as a problem. could be annoying on a track though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes. it's been a feature on most mercedes and other cars for a few years now. Even the little Renault Modus has it.
Fair enough, Didnt know they had that.

Still think the flashing lights under hards braking is a useful thing to have, particularly for motorway driving.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a courtesy car a few months ago which did this almost every time i had to brake... in comparison mine have never come on even when slamming the brakes on to stop for someone pulling out in front of me. Maybe mine aren't working properly...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
ive discovered they arent that intrusive, they will only flash when the abs is about to kick in ive discovered. so if you brake hard on white lines/catseyes this will cause them to flash at less braking pressure

1 - 20 of 42 Posts