Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping someone can help, I've read through some of the posts and although some of my question has been asked before I can't find anything about all of it. The car isn't mine but the missus who has a 2012 Mito 1.4 multiair & has recently run into a whole lot of problems. It started when she got into the car after being at her daughters & the battery was flat. I wasn't there for this but I got a message saying she had jumped started it and on the way home a load of error messages came up (hill start not available, stop start not available, ABS etc - things I've seen mentioned on the forum). Added to this though was the hazards trying to flash all the way home (her mum was with her & had to keep pressing the button to switch them off) and headlights not being available, it was mainbeam or nothing which as she was driving at night didn't go down well with other motorists as you can imagine.

I got into the car the following day and after firing up & waiting for a few seconds not only noticed the above mentioned errors but also pressing the central locking button set the front wipers off & the boot kept popping open, there was a light behind the hazard button I think & you could also see this flickering. Obviously it was an electrical issue & after reading the forums here it looked like a battery change was in order, it was the original battery in the car so was probably due a change. Put in the car registration on the Halfords website & it came up with a recommended battery (one of their own funnily enough) so bought & fitted it. Turning the ignition caused a few heavy hearts as all the old problems came up, I read to turn the steering wheel fully to the left & right to reset the ecu & also have the steering lock on & off but these didn't do anything. I had work to go to but had to come back in the early hours to disconnect the battery as the hazards kept going off & the better half was worried it would flatten the battery.

The next day we took it to the local garage to run a diagnostic machine on it, to say it found a lot of errors would be an understatement. Unfortunately most of them couldn't be cleared, the mechanic told us he'd never seen anything like it but recommended another garage close by which had a better machine & we might get more joy there, although this new place will charge for the diagnostics check. So this is where were currently at, the car is on the drive with the battery disconnected awaiting the trip to the garage which is in a few days time, I know very little about cars but the girlfriend loves her Mito & she's worried this is now starting to sound like it's going to be expensive. Does anyone have any idea what it can be, so we can maybe point the garage in the right direction. I'm sorry for the long winded post, this is one of the first one's I've ever done and I'd consider myself an old man.

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
Jump-starting a modern with lots of electronics can be a bit of a gamble .. sounds like the body computer/ECU has taken a bit of a spike!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts