Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 164 Q4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, hopefully in the right forum for this question.

I was curious if installing a refrigerator in the garage is possible I read a lot about this, you can read more at RefrigeratorFAQ. I live in Northeast, so winters do get cold and summers do get hot, and wasnt sure if I needed anything special to run my fridge in the garage. It a new fridge, bought in 2017-2018 and its a FrigidAir. My garage is attached to my den, but garage is not insulated. I have some central Air duct work in garage and its all wrapped in some weather protection stuff, I assume due to temperature extremes. Thanks in advance, really hope its possible, 2 fridges would make my life much easier.

·
Registered
37,885 Posts
I would think that it would be ok, but it may be worth speaking to the fridge manufacturer.

I know of a few people who have fridges in garages here in the UK (mostly fisherman who use them to store Maggots etc)

But we probably don't get such temperature extremes like you do.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
You need to check the manufacturer's spec for the fridge. On the UK market many fridges designed for indoor use will only work within a specified ambient temperature range, typically 10 to 30° C, although some, e.g. much of the Beko range, can go as low as -15° C. I assume the US market will be similar.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
In my garage I have a freezer and a fridge freezer.....as well as the big fridge freezer inside the house. They are useful...not only for storing extra food and essential workshop contemplative beer....but many an engine part has been in the freezer to release or fit bearings etc!
One thing I did find before I put mine out there is that certain fridges/freezers are designed only to work in a heated area....no so many for unheated spaces like garages etc....no idea what the differences are though.
EDIT....beaten to it by a faster typing Dave!

·
Vendor
45,955 Posts
You need to check the manufacturer's spec for the fridge. On the UK market many fridges designed for indoor use will only work within a specified ambient temperature range, typically 10 to 30° C, although some, e.g. much of the Beko range, can go as low as -15° C. I assume the US market will be similar.
I have a fridge-freezer in the workshop at work, which is not heated. It sometimes gets cold enough inside the workshop that water left in the sink freezes. The fridge freezer always shuts itself off before it even gets that cold, which is annoying, but there's never really all that much in the freezer anyway.

Before we got the central heating sorted in my house, I put a blanket over the top and down the back of the fridge freezer we have in there to keep it warm and keep it working. That was OK most of the time but there was a particularly cold spell which even with the blanket stopped it working, so I put a little oil radiator under the blanket and ran it for a couple of hours which got the freezer going again. I ran the oil radiator every day for a couple of hours to keep it sweet until the cold spell passed.

I recently bought a Beko chest freezer which is in the barn, this will operate down to -15 degrees apparently. And then if it gets colder than -15, I don't need to worry about anything defrosting!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I would think that it would be ok, but it may be worth speaking to the fridge manufacturer.

I know of a few people who have fridges in garages here in the UK (mostly fisherman who use them to store Maggots etc)

But we probably don't get such temperature extremes like you do.
Yep the separate fishing fridge is a vote winner with wives/girlfriends/housemates!!

But if in a very cold place it doesn't work. I think it's to do with the heat exchange that goes on (I'm not a fridge/freezer expert). If the incoming air is colder than the fridge-freezer it heats up! Leading to unfrozen boilies and dead fish baits (for pike fishing) and sweaty maggots that then become expert escapologists! :sick: At least they are confined to the garage space.

Similarly if its too hot it can't cool down the incoming air enough and fridge-freezer heats up, leading to the same as if it was too cold!

As I say not a refrigeration expert just a fishermen that's suffered with smells and flies from a garage fridge!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
We have a fridge (under cover) outside. Sort of a drinks fridge - its actually an old Samsung Fridge/Freezer. It's survived just fine for about 5 years, coldest here has been -13.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Have had a tall fridge and a tall freezer in the garage for many years, without any problems. Southern fringe of London, so not as much cold weather as the north east, but minimum temperatures probably aren't too different. (Actually, if you're in the States that won't be true!) At the last change of machine, I heard for the first time about needing one specifically for outside use.

As others have said, Beko do 'em, and their stuff is always pretty good and decently priced anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts