·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the paint.
Removed the cover.
Cleaned old paint off.
Degreased and painted.

I'll refit it tomorrow once it has dried and take a picture of the finish. TBH it looks like it isn't goint to crackle at the moment but it said on the tin if it doesn't then to apply more coats. If the front cover goes ok I'll do the rear bank too. :) I haven't masked the bolt holes as I have a tap kit which I'll use afterwards. I also have a new gasket and I will clean up the bolts before I put them back in. I'll need 1 new one as it had been rounded out before

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't want the engine getting full of crap while the cover is off :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
good start, what you doing to the coil cover?
You should bring back the bling of the inlet pipes or atleast make them vomit gloss green :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to get the cover and plenum powdercoated so atm they are staying as they are. Eventually they will be the same green as the brakes. With white detail, white fuel rails and possibly white inlet pipes. ;). Seems the crackle is starting to appear

Attachments

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
If its the same paint as what I used then I'd wait fitting it again for a week, as it stays tacky till its dried properly. Apart from that, it looks good fella :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to be dry already. Says 2 hours on the tin. It's made by VHT.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Seems to be dry already. Says 2 hours on the tin. It's made by VHT.
Yeah same as what I used, may just be the red that takes ages but doubt it tbh. Odd then hmm!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wierd. Oh well I'll take a pic tomoz

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I'll be extra careful when I put it back. :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the stuff mate. TBH it's quite easy to get a reasonable finish so even a novice painter like me can get good results.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Looking good, I know it's not a GTA but just done my coil pack cover and plenum on the v6 with satin black BBQ paint (that's what it said on the tin :) ) doesn't look too bad...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's still a busso though mate so it's fine in my book.

Ok cover looked pretty good this morning. Refitted with seal and run up to check for leaks. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And finally back together. I cleaned the bolts on a wire wheel. Several are totally rounded just from being taken out over the years so I will source 4 from a breaker. Interestingly a thread a while back where no one could think where metric fine was used. The cam covers are metric fine. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
When I used the VHT paint a few yrs ago I had to actually stick it in the oven at 60 deg C for 15 mins as it wasn't taking effect but it was November and cold outside.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I'll be doing the rear cam cover at some point :)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WTF no green?????? :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts