Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
so now the crank sensor i changed.. putted a almost new battery
i borrowed it from another car so the fit is not the best "the battery connections gets warm after trying to start it for some seconds"
anyhow.. when i crank the car after a few circles the engine stops..like it backfires..
i can clearly feel the smell of burned petrol...
so some combustion seems to happen..

my guess is that the cylinder are full of old petrol and since it full of it doesnt ignite properly..
what i would like to do is unscrew one of the spark plugs of each cylinder and then run it so i drain out all the old petrol.. for then trying again to start it up...

am i thinking right?
what is the size of the socket for unscrewing the plugs?

Thanks for all your help...
Robert

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Could be something simple like the airflow meter, you could disconnect this and try to start the engine again

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it that one fitted in the middle of the air intake pipe?
i disconnected it.. and it fired it up a little more.. kind of 2-3 circles now..
for me it reacts typical to a engine with too much petrol in it..

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Pull the spark plugs connections off to see if there is a build up of corrosion (maybe use some contact cleaner on them) also you can pull the plugs out and have a look at the state of them.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hi all.
my guess is that the cylinder are full of old petrol and since it full of it doesnt ignite properly..
what i would like to do is unscrew one of the spark plugs of each cylinder and then run it so i drain out all the old petrol.. for then trying again to start it up...

am i thinking right?
Robert
Yes, that'd be the first thing to try. I have a motorcycle that has periodically been laid up for a year at a time. The way to get that started is as you describe, plus heat the plug electrodes on a gas ring or with a blowtorch. Put them back and try while they're still warm. Never fails, for me. Fill up with fresh fuel ASAP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
borrowed a socket of 14 mm for unscrewing the spark plugs..
but it doesnt fit..
can anyone please tell me the right size of the socket i need?

cheers
Robert

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
You'll need a dedicated spark plug socket, it's long enough to fit the electrode in and usually has a rubber cap to pick up the plug, a typical 14mm socket won't reach

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes im aware of that.. i borrowed one.. fitted with magnet instead of rubber cap but it doesnt fit..
sorry to ask a very stupid question.. but it is 14 mm yes?
as i can see form above the 14 mm seems too little .. a 16 seems to fit.. i just dont have one that size..
im just going on my eye measure..
the car is a 156 2.0 TS 1998..
cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts