Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Tony, I'm considering a 147 JTDM 16v as a next car. I currently run a 1988 Renault Espace that I've owned for 20 years and is one of only 9 left on UK roads. My previous car was a Mk1 Golf Gti, for 6 years. Hopefully the 147 should combine some of the fun of the latter with the electrical idiosyncrasies of the Espace.:)

Mostly I ride motorcycles. 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J (again, 20yr ownership) & KTM Duke 2 2003 (a mere 8 years).

I tend to like to own vehicles for a long, long time so I know them inside out. Aside from occasional disastrous and costly encounters with the motor trade I have always done my own servicing, maintenance, rebuilds. I know there are good technicians out there, but I'm the sort of bloke who Copaslips bolts because I know it's likely to be me who will have to undo them in 10 years time, or dismantles and regreases an electric window mechanism rather than buy a new one.

So I'm not fazed by the 147's appetite for suspension and cambelts, and I am attracted by the galvanised shell - they seem to rust a great deal less than Mk4 Golfs, I've never yet seen a rusty 147. I hate rust, and have been spoiled by it being a non-issue on the Renault Shed. I'm less happy about turbos, DMF flywheels and the electronics: too many failure points on modern cars as I know from my son who's a Merc-trained diagnostic tech. But we'll see..

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO.....:thumbs:
Good luck in your search, from your intro it sounds like you know what to look for........:)
My last road bike was a GSX-R, only a 600 though,great bike, and still have the Ducati track bike.......

D

·
0 Posts
Hi and Welcome:thumbs: The 147 is a solid car but don't get the selespeed as they can be expensive to fix.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Much reading of the forum later, and I'm wavering. Since I'm limited to cheaper, older cars there seems to be a high potential for an unreliable money pit. Suspension, cambelt/waterpump, no problem - but there seems to be a very high incidence of complicated electronics issues, failing sensors and modules. Cars just seem to have got too clever for their own good from about 2000 on... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts