Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wow: This is the link to a fab 164 who's is it,

Buy a used ALFA ROMEO 164 Car - Auto Trader UK

Do any of you guys know anything about it, it's only ten miles from me and I'm thinking of emptying my piggy bank :inlove: , it would be a fab replacement for my recently murdered GTV :cry: , and look great next to our Red 156 Veloce. What do you think? over priced about right or what, I have been looking at 166's but I think this is better looking IMO :) . Let me know what u think.

Best regards steve j.

G

·
I could be completely wrong but that looks very like a car advertised earlier in the year for a lot more money than that by someone connected to AROC.
It looks great but you would have to really want a 164 to pay the price. Still, the best is never cheap.

G

·
It's absolutely top whack for a 164 QV and will have to be immaculate for this money. You'd need to check everything including that really expensive suspension. The rad header tank looks pretty mucky - not that they don't go that way with time but not been cleaned out.. Seller doesn't state when the cam belt/pump/idlers/tensioners etc were done but if it's been maintained regardless of cost, then the paper evidence will be there for examination.

Engine bits are just starting to become a bit patchy and some parts are quite a lot more expensive than for the later V6 engines (for example, crankshaft sensor). The 164 24V engine is unique to this model in a variety of features.

It's doubtful as an investment and I think it would be quite difficult to sell on at this sort of price so you have to want it for what it is. Provided it doesn't catch you out with an unexpected failure, it would make a great car.

I'd like it!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Get yourself a 166 :lol:.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh bother :confused: just seen Beardo's 155 on ebay and got five
166's in my watchlist, if I could just decide what I want it would probably help :rolleyes: . Just want a really nice sorted Alfa :inlove:

thanks steve j

·
Registered
576 Posts
I know this car, and know dave the owner from AROC meets.

It is immaculate, in perfect condition. He is a retired engineer and spends every penny or moment on it.
Just a bit out of my price range though.
He bought a skyline saloon to replace it!
crazy man....

:)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I think i prefer that to a 166 super!......Cloverleaf will always make my heart bump!!!! Id love one.........and if i had the money spare to buy and look after it id have it like a shot!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
That cars looks fabulous, I'm not really a fan of the 155 but the 164 QV is a really good looking car regardless of age. Only thing that would put me off is the interior, but if it's all original and immaculate with no squeaks I could probably see past that.

Only ever seen one on the road before and it had a fair amount of presence. :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Yeh that look awesome on the road!!! Its a proper rich business mans muscle car!! A person with huge ammounts of style! Tan leather shoes, wicked suite...........etc. you know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think the 164 looks far too angular these days. The rear end is also pretty ugly with those lights. Then there's the interior... :(. The 166 is in a different league.

Tan leather shoes, wicked suite...........etc. you know what I mean?
Is that a 3-piece suite, a17esh? :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's got a lot of presence and I agree that the interior is a bit dated, but the angular looks are part of the charm of this model. I love the rear light array; also from the front or in someone’s rear view mirror the front aspect is far prettier than a 166 in IMHO, but the 166 is more refined in almost every other way. Is there any way of improving/styling the front end of the 166 and I will be sold on it. It's those sad eye's that put me off, I like my Alfa's to be drop dead gorgeous or at least better looking than the competition (yes I know I am shallow :eek: ) but my GTV was heart stoppingly beautiful :inlove: and our 156 is better looking and just creams the competition in every aspect :thumbs: . So what the fu*& do I do now :confused: , cos I want a V6 Alfa and I can not afford a 159 or a Brera and my Ford Probe 2.5L V6 is running as sweet as a nut. Thanks for the feedback guys. Steve Jo

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I think the 164 looks far too angular these days. The rear end is also pretty ugly with those lights. Then there's the interior... :(. The 166 is in a different league.

Is that a 3-piece suite, a17esh? :lol:
LOL..........agh well!

When you see the front end of a 166 in the right angle i.e. when you dont see the sad eyes it really is the most beautiful car on the road........I cant think of any car that makes me thing WOW, i love it when i see it like that!! You only see it every now and again!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Is there any way of improving/styling the front end of the 166 and I will be sold on it. It's those sad eye's that put me off
Well, you could go for the FL 166! The front end is much more aggressive.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
£ 1500 max
No, an immaculate QV is pretty much worth what you want to pay these days. When my beloved QV caught fire last year I got £3,250 back from the insurance company without any battle really. These are probably harder to replace than a nice 75 nowadays....

I still say it was faster than my 166 Super. A fantastic car (if you've got plenty of time and money!) which I really miss owning.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts