Alfa Romeo Forum banner

121 - 140 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Turbo blown at 55 000km, been sitting at the dealership for 3 weeks and still no confirmed date on parts availability. Fuel flap also doesn't open unless you pull the cable in the boot.

Oh and the seats squeak like an army of hamsters despite taking it back 3 times for this.

Still love my car like a child, but its had a lot of problems for a 2 year old car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My radio still turns itself on at random times, either when turning the ignition off, or on and so far only once turned itself on while driving.:rant:

Still, at least it turns on when I want it to :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
So far 24 months, 23.000kms (Sep '11 model)

1)check brake message came up occasionally, fixed by dealer, loose cable/plug, nothing major.
2)squeaky drivers seat, fixed itself over time (unless it was a dealer stealth fix?)
3)coolant top-up tank had come close to minimum over the last summer, most recent service couldn't find any leak/problem, but have been keeping an eye on it over winter and haven't noticed any drop in level since.

For now it's probably the most reliable and well built car I've owned from new. Time will tell if this lasts, but so far so good!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had the car a couple of months and I love it guys! Fear not! Not had the best of luck though. In the first month I had a big chip to the windscreen that meant a replacement, kerbed from passenger side alloy (trying to be clever squeezing through a gap in a queue of traffic and this morning I've woken up to a flat tyre! Thought I could hear a little rattle last weekend which I'm gonna listen out for but other than a bit of bad luck the car is great! My niggles would be not being able to see the speedo (sorry officer), not footrest space next to the clutch (you do get used to it) and my knee whacking the inside drivers door panel. I think I've finally managed to find a position where my feet can still reach everything and my knee just sits underneath it so I think we may be ok on that one but it does seem to protrude a lot and it can difficult to find a comfy position to rest feet and legs at times. None of these are build quality issues though. More design flaws.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You'd hope most of the Giuliettas leaving the factory now are pretty sorted. Fiat (Alfa) usually get onto a bit of a role after a couple of years of production and to be fair a lot of the majorly problematic G's on here are 2010-2011 cars. A lot less grumbles from those bought new over the last 12-18 months.

I think the MiTo differs in that it was never majorly troublesome, but many of its parts were already tested in the Grande Punto (which was a pig to start with too), unlike the G which is largely 'all-new'.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ok here goes, car 2 years old at the end of this month and have come across the following on mine:

Niggly things:
Parking sensors paint touched up
Passenger speaker replaced
Parking sensors paint touched up (again)
Leaking windscreen skoosher unit (Pipes had popped in the winter but pushfit back on ok. the units had also popped out of the the underside of the bonnet but clipped back in ok)
Parking sensors paint to be touched up (again)
Squeeking rear brakes (advised £100 to give them a clean, can see me doing them myself!)

More major things:
Full dash out to fix a rattle somewhere behind it
Lost coolant due to Inlet manifold gasket failure
Oil pump failure, within 5 mins of picking my car up after its service.
Clutch return spring to be replaced

The small things haven't bothered me much, but the more major ones have and now combined are starting to get somewhat tiresome :(
But then you get a nice clear bit of B Road and you remember why you got it in the first place :inlove:
The other week I was back and forward all week between West Lothian & Kelso, Selkirk & Gala, all away from normal commuting times and pretty much had a constant smile on my face everytime the road opened up :D For those that don't know the Borders it can be B Road heaven in places :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
In a word.. Yes

In more than one word:
(Brand New Giulietta 1.4TB Lusso delivered September '10)
- Badly fitted pipe clip leaked coolant and the engine nearly overheated
- "That" gearknob issue
- Electric drivers seat memory failed
- Electric drivers seat forward motion failed
- "That" gearknob issue (again)
- Boot wouldn't open either on the keyfob or pushing the button on the rear.
- Rear interior light failed
- Boot won't open again (keyfob or push button). Waiting for parts for the past 4 weeks still with no ETA.
- New: Interior drivers door handle doesn't open the door any more (my wife is the main driver so it isn't being manhandled)

The dealer (Mangoletsi) isn't bad particularly but I wouldn't say they are at all impressive. 'Barely meets expectations' is about as far as I'd go. The sales team were good though (funny that).

Build quality has been something that other car manufacturers have been getting right for decades. Alfa aren't the only ones still getting it wrong but I'm surprised they continue to fail quite so spectacularly.
The new platform for the Giulietta was a real opportunity to get it right and seek out a strong foothold in the family car market. They may well have gone and blown it (again).

I accept that the drive is very good for the type of car it is but those rare moments on a twisty road are certainly not worth all the hassle.
Next time I see one on a nice bit of road, I will actually feel sorry for the guy (or girl) having his (/her) 5 minutes of fun knowing he's paid for it in days/weeks driving a loan car while his issues are being fixed back at the dealers.

I hereby swear that I will sell this car as soon as it is back in working order and never look back at Alfa again.
(Perhaps best that I don't try to sell it on here after that rant, though ;))

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Mine is still going perfectly well after almost 3 years.

...No other car manufacturer apart from Alfa has ever built a car that has been as reliable as my Alfas. And that's a fact.
...of course, I'm only talking about personal experience of particular cars I've owned, I'm not saying that I have driven every single car ever built, but I find blanket statements are far more satisfying and make me feel justified.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Build quality has been something that other car manufacturers have been getting right for decades.
Not true, and I had the Mercedes A-Class to prove it. All those interior trim problems, plus basic mechanical failures too (suspension, steering, gearbox x2). Whatever you say about the Giulietta's fittings, the drivetrain works.

Dealer aftercare is a big problem that both you and I seem to have shared though. "Bare minimum" would sum up my experience with Mercedes, followed by "willful denial" when they actively sought to hide a four-figure recall/refund payment from me.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I work for a hyundai/mitsubishi dealer, and can assure you definitely not all makes get it right when it comes to build quality. I used to work for a peugeot dealer and must admit those french cars were finished better than the korean/indian junk I have to deal with now.

Mitsubishi is at least built properly, but by no means without problems!

·
Registered
392 Posts
My first update on my QV was at 5600 miles so, probably worth rounding things up now as it has just had it's first 21k service and is 20 months old so, for the delectation of all, in summary since purchase:

By 10k, into dealers for the following:

Drivers seatback making clunking and banging noises - "A known problem we have a fix for Sir"
Boot leaking, water ingress from the tailgate wiper - "A known problem we have a fix for Sir"
Buzzing speaker and door card - "A known problem we have a fix for Sir"
Sticking fuel flap -"A known problem we have a fix for Sir"

All rectifed to my satisfaction.

Clutch slipping at 12k, inspected and found to be badly missworn indicative of not aligned properly at build. Replaced under warranty.

Upper outer drivers side window frame rubber seals above the window loose and showing a gap between door and door frame when door closed, allowing wind and water in. Seal replaced under warranty.

19k, Turbo failure. bearings found to be seized, upper and lower hoses fine with good oil flow (anything to do with the 21k service interval as opposed to 18k for the rest of the petrol range). Replaced both Turbo and hoses under warranty.

Upper outer drivers side window frame rubber seals above the window loose again, and showing a gap between door and door frame when door closed, allowing wind and water in. All resorted again under warranty.

Drivers door window now makes a loud bang as it closes the final centimetre as the top of the window frame appears out of alignment with the window, the whole window frame flexes and hits the door frame.....this one may run and run. Due to take it back next week.

Not perfect by any means especially compared to my Brera S which in 2 1/2 years just had a failure of a power steering belt but, I am still enjoying it and cannot fault the service of my dealers (Meridian Milano).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Build quality has been something that other car manufacturers have been getting right for decades.
Not true, and I had the Mercedes A-Class to prove it.
To be fair, I did also say:
Alfa aren't the only ones still getting it wrong but I'm surprised they continue to fail quite so spectacularly.[/B]
No manufacturer are ever going to be perfect but there is a reason Alfa have a reputation for poor build quality. If you're one of the lucky ones, good for you, but that doesn't mean you're not the exception.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To be fair, I did also say:

No manufacturer are ever going to be perfect but there is a reason Alfa have a reputation for poor build quality. If you're one of the lucky ones, good for you, but that doesn't mean you're not the exception.
You're entiltled to your opinion but if you are 'waiting on a Giulietta' then you aren't speaking from experience. Mine has been great (nearly 2 years old), and I bet loads of others have. Wait until you've got one.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Mitsubishi is at least built properly, but by no means without problems!

Out of interest, have you had as many problems with the Evo X as I'm currently having. Currently waiting for a new SST box, AYC pump, second set of new front discs, second set of wheels and now there's a constant knocking coming from the nearside front suspension even at very low speeds. In 2 yeas of ownership, it's been fault free for only 5 months.

I left Alfa because of my experiences with Arnold Shark and my old 33 P4, but even that worked for a greater proportion of time than the Evo.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Out of interest, have you had as many problems with the Evo X as I'm currently having. Currently waiting for a new SST box, AYC pump, second set of new front discs, second set of wheels and now there's a constant knocking coming from the nearside front suspension even at very low speeds. In 2 yeas of ownership, it's been fault free for only 5 months.

I left Alfa because of my experiences with Arnold Shark and my old 33 P4, but even that worked for a greater proportion of time than the Evo.
We have a couple of EVOs running, but not sure how many are X's... thing is the tax system here penalizes owners of very powerful cars like the QV, GTA and obviously EVOs so there aren't many around. The ones we have are reliable, as long as they're kept standard.

Brakes seem to be a problem with all (mitsubishi and hyundai) though, either the pads are sticking in the calipers, or the calipers are sticking on the sliders. Never ever had these issues when I worked for Peugeot, bar maybe the 406 Coupe with the Brembo brakes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine's one week old and has an annoying tizz vibration from the driver's door trim usually when going through the gears at around 1,800rpm. Bit disappointing coming from an '09 plate A3 with no squeak or rattles whatsoever.

121 - 140 of 220 Posts