Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I got my GTV Ive had people give me alot of "Attitude" both Good and Bad.

Today I had a guy say that he liked my car and I said "thanks" then he said "Thats alright if you dont want to talk to me" well then I put the window down abit to be a little more open. Then he got in his car and drove away. What are you supposed to do ?! start a conversation ? I just said "thanks" what more is required ?

Then Ive had other incidents where a guy threatened to damage my car If I didnt park it in a certain way so he could get out of his drive way. Funny thing is that I got the same complaint from a previous owner 10 years ago but that was in my Alfetta GTV ! In that 10 years I had a Hyundai and no one ever gave me any attention good or bad.

It seems people have a reaction to the car and the marque one way or another. Another good example is people going out of their way letting me in in traffic. And girls looking at me in the car is the best of course :D

Then Ive had people leaving rude messages on my car, people give me dirty looks at shopping centre because Im parked, chatting on my mobile phone and dont know weather Im coming or going and the other day a friendly neighbour practically abused me because I parked in a no standing zone for 1 minute and warned me that I would get booked. I mean whats all the attention from people ?! something I never got from other cars ive owned like the Hyundai or Mercedes or Honda - no one even thinks twice about giving you an Attitude.

Must something in Alfas that empassions people to make their views known to you one way or another. People either love it or hate it. And sometimes a combination of both.

A

·
0 Posts
Fred, that's just what happens. We alfa drivers just have to accept it. Worse thing is though, when you get bad attitude from supposedly 'fellow' alfa drivers. Deal with that my man.
Munier.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Have to be honest - in 3 years of owning an Alfa have had nothing but positive vibes - even from Krautmachine owners!! A revelation really, and I find my respect/tolerance/kindness to other road users (even wayward pedestrians :wow:) is increased too. Can't explain it. Joint appointment with the shrink Fred??:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
may be its just where you live... they don't like alfa's....

since getting mine, i find a lot of people are ready to give there option on how un reliable they are, and when i question them on it, they do normally admit, they have never owned owned one but it is a lovely looking car, normally much better looking than the dull 4 wheeled box they drive...

i always tend to come back to them saying yes, my car may needs a little more TCL than your vectra or mondeo, but i don't care, i would rather do that, and enjoy my time in my car, than just use it to get from a to b..

there is no accounting for taste...

E

·
0 Posts
A guy stopped and chatted to me at the petrol station a while back, turns out he used to own a 164 and loves alfas.

Monday while driving I saw a FIAT Punto Abarth, I have to say in black it looked the dogs doodahs and was one clean car. I drove past it on the motorway to get a good look, then as I slowed up to come off they came past me. It was four young blokes you'd expect to see in some chavved up corsa (i know that sounds bad :lol:) but they all had massive grins and were looking at the GTA as they went past.

Something tells me that just like me when my first car was a FIAT, the driver has got the Italian car bug and give a few years will be in an ALFA :D

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I learned to drive in smaller Fiats and then to bigger Alfa Romeos when I was a kid. It was like my dad had it all mapped out for me!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I find it has been overwhelmingly positive; from comments about how beautiful it is to being let out in traffic more readily than in any car I've owned.

I get regularly ribbed by the 530d driving MD of one of the Group businesses I work for. It started off more sarcastic and stereotypical anti Alfa reliability comments. "Is it still running?" *guffaw* was a common one at management meetings but I had the last laugh. I used to smile and say the 5 series is a very sensible choice, if rather lacking any imagination or individuality. After months of total Ti reliability he let slip that his had been delivered with a faulty turbo and had been in the dealer's for a fortnight. I ask him the same question in front of others now!

Inevitably you get someone playing the reliability or depreciation card. It'll take years to shake off even if no longer justified.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats the reputation from Alfas of the 80s. And even then I had 2x Sprints and 3x Alfetta GTVs and they were all pretty normal cars that didnt have reliability issues at all. (apart from the rust of course :lol:) But Its only if people thrash them and dont look after them they have mechanical issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I remember when I had an Alfa. Never realised how courteous other drivers were to me in the Alfa. It wasn't until I rented a Volkwagen Golf cos my Alfa was off the road that in one 7 mile trip I got pulled out on, cut up and over took in really a inappropriate place (in a traffic jam on a single file road!!!).

Want another Alfa :)

Having said that I have a Lexus Is200 and don't get disrespected but I never get complimented as much :(

·
Registered
733 Posts
I find it has been overwhelmingly positive; from comments about how beautiful it is to being let out in traffic more readily than in any car I've owned.

Same as my experience, I've never owned a car that got such a positive reaction from almost everyone, wife and I call it 'The Alfa effect'. We live on a busy road with queuing traffic much of the time, so it can be difficult exiting the drive, but not in my 159, the first car often lets me out. Quite a few times I've had cars reversing a foot or two to open the gap, smiling as they did it. The same thing happens when exiting side roads or turning right across oncoming traffic, this didn't happen very often with any other car I've had. My theory is that the grille is very distinctive, and it looks forceful without being aggressive like those awful modern Audis.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
This morning came off a roundabout like I always do and filtered into the left lane ahead of a woman in a new Fiesta. As soon as I pulled in front of her she sticks her lights on, not just dipped beams but full beams!! I mean WTF :rant:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find that people are more respectful and give way to you more if you want to do a U turn or something like that. They stop and admire rather than wait patiently like when I had the Hyundai.

·
Registered
733 Posts
This morning came off a roundabout like I always do and filtered into the left lane ahead of a woman in a new Fiesta. As soon as I pulled in front of her she sticks her lights on, not just dipped beams but full beams!! I mean WTF :rant:
Know what you mean, there's a new breed of really pushy female drivers out there, really quite unpleasant, and almost always in small cheap cars. I blame Harriet Harman.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same as my experience, I've never owned a car that got such a positive reaction from almost everyone, wife and I call it 'The Alfa effect'. We live on a busy road with queuing traffic much of the time, so it can be difficult exiting the drive, but not in my 159, the first car often lets me out. Quite a few times I've had cars reversing a foot or two to open the gap, smiling as they did it. The same thing happens when exiting side roads or turning right across oncoming traffic, this didn't happen very often with any other car I've had. My theory is that the grille is very distinctive, and it looks forceful without being aggressive like those awful modern Audis.
Yeah the front grille on the 159 is amazing. I followed one today actually and noticed it is a totally distinctive car unlike anything else on the road.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Know what you mean, there's a new breed of really pushy female drivers out there, really quite unpleasant, and almost always in small cheap cars. I blame Harriet Harman.
Small cheap cars have NO right to honk Alfa Romeos !! :rant:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Funny thing I've noticed that some people seem to want to race me or get agitated with me in certain traffic situations!

Never experienced it before and haven't changed my driving style since owning the Alfa :confused:

K

·
0 Posts
As soon as they re-open in January, I'm afraid it's back to the psychiatrist for you, Fred.
:lol:
Classic Yeborsk. :lol::lol:

I know the feeling Fred but tbh, as of late, it's been positive Alfa vibes from fellow drivers.

Just today, made my way through Sydney's Northern beaches taking in some breathtaking, spectacular scenery and winding roads (the Kurringai Chase National Park detour a highlight).
Stopped for lunch at Newport Beach.

Admittedly the 'bella' was recently washed and sparkling but received more than a few admiring looks, pointed fingers and smiles in transit.

E

·
0 Posts
Funny but reading that reminded me I did once have similar.

If you know bluewater shopping centre you might know where I am talking about. But I was heading for the A2 from Dartford which comes past Bluewater, where traffic from Dartford merges with traffic coming out of Bluewater. So I am driving along looking for a suitable place to merge, only to have this woman do her best to stop me joining in front of her. Now just to point out;

a) I chose this spot becuase until this point there was a sizeable gap.
b) I hadn't driven down to the front of the queue and wasn't trying to barge in.
c) I indicated.
d) There is no other option for traffic coming from Dartford.

I got in, infront of her but then all I got was numerous gestures from her and her delightful offspring. :mad:

I don't think in this and many cases though it is anything about driving an alfa, it is just general pig ignorance. Also in general I think a lot of people just don't want to ever give way or allow traffic to merge. You see it all the time on the motorways when a lane is closed. If I am stuck in a traffic jam I will always let peole out......even BMW's.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Classic Yeborsk. :lol::lol:

I know the feeling Fred but tbh, as of late, it's been positive Alfa vibes from fellow drivers.

Just today, made my way through Sydney's Northern beaches taking in some breathtaking, spectacular scenery and winding roads (the Kurringai Chase National Park detour a highlight).
Stopped for lunch at Newport Beach.

Admittedly the 'bella' was recently washed and sparkling but received more than a few admiring looks, pointed fingers and smiles in transit.
Sounds nice Kalel - How does the Brera handle through the winding roads ?

Your car would defintely only recieve admiring comments being the latest and most recent model ! Theres not many Black Breras on the road in Sydney. I think Ive only seen 1 or 2 and they might have been you ! :lol:

Saw a Red Brera which Ive never seen before in Paddo - was absolutely stunning never seen anything like it !

1 - 20 of 138 Posts