Alfa Romeo Forum banner

621 - 640 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I watched it. I could've swore blind I'd seen this 'adventure' before, but couldn't have as it was presented by the new team.
3 ancient and unsuitable modes of transport in a far flung country and going up poor and dangerous mountain roads with narrow pinch-points and with countless breakdowns. Yes, all present and correct.
Found myself clock-watching at around 40 minutes in, never a good sign.
And shock horror, the Renault rolling back down the road to meet its maker. No one saw that one coming...

I do like the presenters (I can even tolerate Flintoff with his wooden narration), but it seems they have nothing new to offer the long-term viewers when it comes to so-called 'specials'.
I did manage a few little sniggers, but it was completely devoid of any belly laughs for me.
Hopefully the new series will make a better fist of it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Seeing as my 1st car was a Renault 4 i was looking forward to this,but,as above,after about half an hour was checking how long to go.Also no reason they couldn't have towed the Renault the last couple of miles rather than pretending to dump it,that annoyed me more than it probably should have :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I haven't watched it but a lot of people seem annoyed that they wrecked a perfectly good Peugeot 106 Rallye. I honestly don't get why they do that. I never enjoyed that from any of the presenters. The odd bump in the rear was funny but when they started milking it, then it just became another tired joke.

I wish they would just pick three presenters and let them decide how they want the show to be. That's what Clarkson, Hammond and May did and that's why it worked.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
The cars issue was what eventually put me off the old TG. £1500 snotters that aren't much more than parts cars are one thing, that Patagonia debacle where 3 nice desirable cars got trashed then dumped was too much for me.

·
Registered
37,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #630
I'm half way through and I've half a mind not to bother with the second half. I think it's fair to say we have finally replaced the old presenting team with a half decent one but we now need to review the writing/directing/production values.

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
The could have redeemed themselves, couldn't they? For example, if the R4 was so good, then why not ship home and fix up at presenters expense (a la the old Kadett that Hammond rescued..........Oliver?).

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
The BBC produce some cracking programming but they choose to produce such drivel as this.
It was begging for an overhaul after the three amigos (read two amigos and one full of **** idiot) left and certainly after the shouty Evans debacle, but they decided........

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I have to say I quite enjoyed it. I like the three of them together, the chemistry seems to be developing nicely between them.

For comparison, I also watched the other three's latest effort and found it really quite dull. Once you separate out Clarkson's apparent love of wars, and his endless bullying of May, it's all worn a bit thin with me.

I hope that R4 makes it back and gets repaired.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just rubbish, and that ex cricketer bloke!? I just don't get it, at all.....I agree with the majority, just put that model in the bin and construct a whole new one, and improve it as you go along, cant be that hard, can it?!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I think problem for TG 2.0 is they are stuck with a platform that worked so well for the original three that when they departed for pastures new over on Amazon, BBC had a void to fill. Whether everyone liked it or not, Top Gear with JC, May & Hammond worked most of the time and they have continued that to some extent on the Grand Tour. The BBC are trying to repeat that with three different characters and are finding it difficult. There’s only so many ways to skin a cat as they say. I also think the current Top Gear is now not just competing against the Grand Tour, but also the endless amounts of influencers and so called automotive journalists on You Tube, TG back in the day only had Fifth Gear to contend with. I honestly spend more time nowadays watching You Tube videos with content that I precisely want to see rather than put up with an hour of forced drivel on the BBC. Ironically, I quite enjoy Harris on his You Tube channel and other videos of him more than on Top Gear.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I t. I also think the current Top Gear is now not just competing against the Grand Tour, but also the endless amounts of influencers and so called automotive journalists on You Tube, TG back in the day only had Fifth Gear to contend with. I honestly spend more time nowadays watching You Tube videos with content that I precisely want to see rather than put up with an hour of forced drivel on the BBC. Ironically, I quite enjoy Harris on his You Tube channel and other videos of him more than on Top Gear.
Good point, well made :)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
It was OK. Unfortunately for me Flintoff is a bit of a plantpot. Harris is brilliant and even Paddy is OK. I still prefer GT but the boats thing they did recently, not so much.

621 - 640 of 677 Posts