Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I've bin on here before but can't get into the account so I had to open another. I have bin away a while after the heat break of my dead alfa gt
So I've just got myself an 2002 alfa 166 2.5 and I'm not sure if I've just got me a beast for very little or just a money pit.
I got the car basically on swap for an 04 Toyota celica vvti (I valued it at around 500 to 750) I was meant to pay cash on top but the back drivers side door didn't work when I arrived, and a leak on the rocker cover (assume a gasket) so I got him to knock the cash off. This was due to covid 19 more than my amazing bartering skills haha
I checked the history of the car and for a good few yrs the same advisories that haven't been fixed.
1. Power steering hose/pipe seepage
2.front and back break pipe corroded
3. Anti rollbar corroded but not weakened.
I should say the last 2 yrs the car has done less than 5 thou miles
I've got her booked in on Tues. I new it would be a project car but I'm just wondering if I've bin a bit daft taking this on. From what Ive seen this was the cheepest listing in the UK. But I've always wanted a brusso v6 and the engine itself seems very strong gearbox too
Any tips are more than welcome known faults things to check or keep an eye on.
Oh can anyone tell me what oil these use please
Looking forward to talking to you guys and learning some cool info. I will get pic of her ASAP

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The engines are very strong if vaguely looked after. Even if they haven’t been serviced regularly, the worst I’ve seen is gummed up lifters making a horrible clattering noise - which can be cured by a flushing agent followed by an oil change.

Get the cambelt done if older than 5 years.

Corroded brake pipes could be a problem - not expensive in terms of parts, but a bear of a job to do properly, you’ll need to do quite a bit of dismantling. OSF is “engine out” to do properly. Depends on the MOT man’s definition of “corroded”......

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
44 Posts
Sounds like a bargain to me, if you are doing the work yourself. I would have a check of the strut mounts for the front suspension, which seem a fairly common failing point for the 166. They also eat front lower wishbones, like the 156, GTV etc. They don't seem to have
significant rust issues either, especially compared to the 156, so fix it up and enjoy it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Keep an eye on the handbrake-cables. They must be mounted in a certain position in relation to the caliper. Otherwise you will have to replace them every year.... The most important changes where in 2001, so 2002 should be good.
(changes: less/no rust in the sills :check! Some better quality electronic parts)
Check the powersteering-lines, they are/were? not available any more. Front radiator-support: rusts always, so check its condition, and when in good order: preserve! Airco: a delight if it works. My most appreciated car ever! (i too have a 2.5 but produced in 2003)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So firstly thank you for the info guys
I thought its best for an update. Long story short I brought a dog haha engine wise it's fine. But the rest of the car not so much. The hand break calliper is seized the steering wrack is leaking the rear doors well that's a story on there own. Basically they need new lock motors and the windows on the rds is slipping.
So where to go from here. All the work except the steering rack is pretty easy according to my mechanic. But the rack new I found one place in the UK in Norwich they didn't have it in stick and quoted me 1400.
Next I thought about ebay but what garentee what you buy is not on its way out too. But there around the 150 mark plus delivery. The labour I'm told will be a lot and expensive. It doesn't surprise me looking at what has to come off.
So I thought about just running it till its mot. But after speaking to the good ppl in Norwich the guy told me of a 166 2.5 he had that had bin sat 3yrs. After some pic being send from unde the car to inside all around. It looked sweet worst part is a decent dent in bk wing (I'll get some pics up ASAP.). I decided to take a punt I figure worse case I've a doner car
It's bin hooked upto a bat and started first time though it won't be started again until my guy can look at it. They chucked in some pads and disks Ive got a cambelt kit. Plus oil and filters.
I don't have thousands to spend on a car I've got to think outside the box maybe I'm destined to fail but only one way to find out. Worst case I've only payed 1000 for two alfas one is mot for 9 month so I'm sure very worst case I'll not lose too much money

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What state is the first one in?

Steering rack not that scary if you’re doing it yourself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lockmotors can be an issue (if you have 2 right hands and time, repair can be cheap. Overall build-quality is much better than 156!
steering rack refurb costs around €400, but then the labour....

·
Registered
92 Posts
But man what a rust!... takes a lot of love to turn that into something nice (under the car)
Check sills near the end of the rear doors, subframe under the condensor first...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts