Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried the Pyle Dual Coil solution... it works

I got my Pyle PLPW6D 6.5'' 600 Watt Dual Voice Coil 4 Ohm Subwoofer from Thompson's ebay shop in the UK and it improved the sound over stock massively. (£23 delivered)

eBay

It slotted straight in using original 4 mounting screws, but I did have to ditch the plastic protection shroud from the rear as the Pyle is deeper and more robust at the rear so I wasn't worried.
I changed the fronts also to Alpines 5x7, with all the hack abouts highlighted on other threads to get a fit and the sound is greatly enhanced too.. you can feel the bass now, I didn't mess with the tweeters but just connected up the Alpines to the original wiring.
They are driven by a simple mechless German headunit "XOMAX" 60w pc and I can't fault it for a total upgrade cost of £86 !!!! - 100% improvement over the busted, buzzing sound I had before..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just did mine too - plus the Alpines - terrific value and good sound. Miles better than the croaking originals.

I’ve put the Pyle speaker in, an easy job. Which Alpines did you use for the front if you dont mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hi guys just thought I'd flag that this has now come down to just £9.44 at Thompsons. Delivery costs make it about £15 in total but it's gotta be the cheapest it's ever been. I just ordered one.

https://www.thompsonsltd.co.uk/all-products/plpw6d-pyle-plpw6d-6.5-600-watt-dual-voice-coil-4-ohm-subwoofer.html
Thanks for this link,they still have them at the same price.Wanted another ,but best i could google myself was £35 with shipping,so great saving here :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just fitted my Pyle speaker, bought from Thompson's for £14.23 delivered. Two things to note: despite ditching the rear cage the four bolts were not quite long enough so had use different ones. Also the cable adaptor from ebay has two different sized spade connectors, so the smaller one needed "modification" with a screwdriver!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Eh ...Whats that your saying??? I'm a bit def with me Glue ear but I've just ordered one ...hope I can get radio 5....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well it went in, not straight forward as the original screws/bolts were to short.
Sounds better than it did, wasn't that bad as I had fitted some Pioneer speakers earlier on to match up with the old Pioneer head unit ,so the 3 together sound pretty good. I always choose a track /song I don't really like & if i end up singing along it sounds better...& i did Lol
Jobs a good un...Oh the cover I had to leave the bottom 2 clips out as trying to slide the cover with the clips on would have damaged the new speaker ,plus with the rear of the centre consul being so close its a real sunug fit!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Having also jumped on the Pyle bandwagon (delivery imminent) thought I might as well research/prepare.Regarding the talk of connectors and longer bolts, are the previously mentioned eBay connectors the right ones or is there a more suitable solution and presumably the bolts are just longer versions of what is already there?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Dave
The spade connectors on the adaptor are of different sizes, one fits OK the other needed opening out a bit. I guess there may be other options available. The bolts just need to be a bit longer, I just used some I had lying around.
N.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Didn't get round to fitting the Pyle (cars now away for winter) so I've hooked it up loose to to my shed system (old car stereo). Well it works albeit lacking bass which hopefully would be rectified if it was in some form of housing.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I knocked up a crude box (oo-er) for mine, it made a small difference, but not huge. Which is why I ended up splashing out on a proper active under-seat low profile sub, put into the cubby hole by the battery. The difference is night and day. My Pyle and crappy box is sat idle in the garage now. Anybody can have it for the price of postage.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Didn't get round to fitting the Pyle (cars now away for winter) so I've hooked it up loose to to my shed system (old car stereo). Well it works albeit lacking bass which hopefully would be rectified if it was in some form of housing.
Faff, tried to send another message, but it's telling me your inbox is full. Safe to say I'll be back in touch tomorrow.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Faff, tried to send another message, but it's telling me your inbox is full. Safe to say I'll be back in touch tomorrow.
Done some house-keeping and made space, sorry about that. I usually try to keep an eye on the levels, to stop that happening.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Now that I have the shed rear speaker sorted (thanks to Hobson284). I've got my Pyle speaker back ready to fit in the Spider next year. With that in mind I've had another look at the replacements for the front, as the Alpines seem a popular choice thought I'd mention Halfords have them discounted. Plus there is a "PAYDAY10" code that can be applied (expires Friday 1st) making them £23.94 collected from store.

·
Registered
156 Posts
. With that in mind I've had another look at the replacements for the front, as the Alpines seem a popular choice thought I'd mention Halfords have them discounted. Plus there is a "PAYDAY10" code that can be applied (expires Friday 1st) making them £23.94 collected from store.
Ordered!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nigull did you get/fit the Alpines? Just wondering, as the ones that I have are not just as straightforward an install as I would have liked. So before I look for an alternative solution, am interested to hear if they will fit albeit with just a slight modification.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts