Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I found this Plye PL9W6D 6 inch dual input 4 ohm voice coils on Amazon.com. it looks like could be an easy dropin replacement for the crappy factory fit rear woofer. What do you with experience think ?

Price from Amazon.com delivered to UK from USA is whisker under £17 ! Thats the woofer and delivery.

am tempted to click the buy button, but first opinions if will fit straight in and electrically match sought :)

many thanks

leeoh

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hi folks,

I found this Plye PL9W6D 6 inch dual input 4 ohm voice coils on Amazon.com. it looks like could be an easy dropin replacement for the crappy factory fit rear woofer. What do you with experience think ?

Price from Amazon.com delivered to UK from USA is whisker under £17 ! Thats the woofer and delivery.

am tempted to click the buy button, but first opinions if will fit straight in and electrically match sought :)

many thanks

leeoh

For £17 it's got be worth a punt surely ? Unless the "£17" is a typo !!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
God I hope you have found the correct one and that it does not need a separate amp. If you have there might be a sales spike for this item. I have never know a speaker system to be so rubbish in a car, especially for the price they sold for at the time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It will need an amp but that is an easy job. I have the rear speaker from my PH1 in the garage & will measure in the morning... let's hop it's the same size as that will be a great cheap mod ;-)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Vansflyer,

I was just thinking of powering it from my new Alpine CDE-180R I just bought as a drop in replacement for the original fit Clarion. Exactly how the Clarion is now powering the original fit "sub woofer".

Please let us know if its the correct drop in size, my finger is ready to press buy !

thanks

Leeoh

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Alpine you have quotes 50w RMS x 4 and the sub is rated @ 300w RMS so you (and most other people) won't have enough power to drive the sub hard enough from the head unit. But... An amp isn't expensive and easy to fit.
Off to find my tape measure....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool ! for less than 20GBP delivered I think its worth taking a shot.

The 300watts I'm a little skeptical about. at that price I'd be surprised if it can genuinely handle 300watts RMS !

The efficiency of the speaker is quoted as 89DB so its pretty efficient and so I'd be confident the alpine with its 50 watts per channel peak will drive it ok.

Worse case, I'd just buy a cheap amp off ebay afterwards to feed it.

thanks again for checking the dims.

great job !

Leeoh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Keep us posted once they arrive! I've got a long list of things to do before mine is ready for the road but speaker upgrades will definitely have to be done before its complete!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for sure will advise how it went once speaker arrives and fit it.

final cost was less than 17GBP delivered from amazon.com :thumbs:

R

·
0 Posts
How does it sound and is it available in the UK?
Ta
It sounds better than the tired original fitment speaker and bolts straight into the original fixing holes so win win.
A lot better sound with an amp but isn't going to give a deep bass if that's what you are after.
I have a Rainbow intellisub to just add that missing bit of sound.

R

·
0 Posts
How does it sound and is it available in the UK?
Ta
It sounds better than the tired original fitment speaker and bolts straight into the original fixing holes so win win.
image.jpg
A lot better sound with an amp but isn't going to give a deep bass if that's what you are after.
I have a Rainbow intellisub to just add that missing bit of sound.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts