Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a couple of Mondays ago I topped up my oil and then did something really thick, I forgot to replace the oil cap! Never done this before!

Noticed over the following couple of days a oil smell coming through the vents, only opened the bonnet on the Friday and was greeted by an almighty mess!

I cleaned it all up topped up the oil again (it was half way mark on the dip stick) I'd only done a few miles on the days in between so hoped I hadn't done any damage.

Have noticed however that the temp gauge in the car is wavering, goes up to 90 quite quick then just goes back and forth, tonight however when I got home I let the car sit for a blink with the engine running and the temp went over 90 and the fan kicked in.

Long story short WHAT HAVE I DONE???

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
If the oil was half way up the dip stick you won't have done any damage from oil loss, worse case is oil contamination from something going into the engine. I can't see how your temp issue is related to this, leaving a stationary car will quickly hit 90C as there is no airflow to cool and even worse in the relatively hot weather at the moment (assuming you are getting the heatwave in Orkney).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the oil was half way up the dip stick you won't have done any damage from oil loss, worse case is oil contamination from something going into the engine. I can't see how your temp issue is related to this, leaving a stationary car will quickly hit 90C as there is no airflow to cool and even worse in the relatively hot weather at the moment (assuming you are getting the heatwave in Orkney).
No such luck on the heat wave sadly! Wind and rain!

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
I wouldn't worry- did the same thing when we had the 147 - oil didn't register on the dipstick. The car went on to cover a further 120k miles (with oil in!).

I agree the temperature reading is unlikely to be related - the two twinneys I have had both reached 90 and stayed there with the fan kicking in when stationary. The thermostat may be becoming a little tired but nothing urgent and if it were me I'd leave it unless it starts showing 70 or less on a run.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so just took the car up from mine to mums about a 5 minute drive, temp hit about 90 when I arrived I sat for about another 5 with the engine going and it started to go up it hit maybe about 95 and the fan came on. All the while the blowers were blasting out cold air. Like I wanted it to.

Does this help diagnose anything

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Ok so just took the car up from mine to mums about a 5 minute drive, temp hit about 90 when I arrived I sat for about another 5 with the engine going and it started to go up it hit maybe about 95 and the fan came on. All the while the blowers were blasting out cold air. Like I wanted it to.

Does this help diagnose anything
Still sounds OK to me as it seems to be doing exactly what it should.

Had a "new" engine (130k miles) put in the GTV recently and it does exactly the same. I did, like you, sort of panic at first but the fan kicks in and knocks it back to just over 90 in traffic and it runs at just under 90 on the open road. Playing with the aircon off/on can make a difference by a few degrees but, as I say, I don't think you have a problem.

One thing though - have you checked the water level? A low level could give give fluctuations and you would need to find out why the level is low.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still sounds OK to me as it seems to be doing exactly what it should.

Had a "new" engine (130k miles) put in the GTV recently and it does exactly the same. I did, like you, sort of panic at first but the fan kicks in and knocks it back to just over 90 in traffic and it runs at just under 90 on the open road. Playing with the aircon off/on can make a difference by a few degrees but, as I say, I don't think you have a problem.

One thing though - have you checked the water level? A low level could give give fluctuations and you would need to find out why the level is low.
Yeah coolent level is fine, just spoke to a mate of mine who's a mechanic, seems to think the thermostat is stuck shut. Possible?

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Yeah coolent level is fine, just spoke to a mate of mine who's a mechanic, seems to think the thermostat is stuck shut. Possible?
If it doesn't go above 100 I still think it sounds OK. My advice would be to keep an eye on it but if you are worried then change the thermostat - they are relatively cheap.

As I say my experience of a new thermostat is that it'll stick at 90 in all traffic, maybe reach 93, then the fan kicks in and quickly knocks it back to 90.

Bottom line - if you want peace of mind then change the thermostat.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Could just be the sender or the gauge - if the car heats up, fan comes on and cools it back down then it's probably reet - mine is, been meaning to have the sender replaced for some time... well the last 5 years actually, just never got round to it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could just be the sender or the gauge - if the car heats up, fan comes on and cools it back down then it's probably reet - mine is, been meaning to have the sender replaced for some time... well the last 5 years actually, just never got round to it!
It maybe is ok, its maybe all in my head, I just thought that taking 5 mins for the gauge to be pretty neat 90 y seems just a bit fast!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check that oil has not filled up the cavities where the spark plugs are, if it has clean it out and dry the coil packs as it could lead to a misfire if left full of oil.

It's not much oil, but it gets everywhere. I speak from experience did the same thing on a mk2 cavalier in the mid 80's!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts