Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't see it's any nastier than brake cleaner on the seals and stuff. And any that's left will be very small amounts.
Were the pistons in good enough nick to re-use, or had all the chrome gone?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
WD40 is miracle I use it all the time, even spray it on me shoes...

once I visited a F1 paddock of a prime F1 team (I don't say which) and I saw several cans of the stuff !!! that says it all :p

·
Administrator
45,315 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rarebear:
<strong>once I visited a F1 paddock of a prime F1 team (I don't say which) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Come on Rarebear, you don't need to say. We all know how much you like Shell. I bet it was Ferrari wink

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Isn't WD40 known to rot rubber seals over time? Maybe a bit of silicon spray ontop would revive them?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Where I bought my BMW motorbike USEDto use WD40 on calipers but found that there was a reaction between it and brake fluid. Best to thoroughly wash calipers, pistons and seals in methylated spirit. Seeing as you rinsed using brake fluid there shouldn't be a problem. Also WD40 should not be used on nylon bushes etc. as it makes the nylon swell.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by armoore:
<strong>... as it makes the nylon swell.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Arse. That's what I told my little bro to use on his 2nd year engineering project.
Ah well, he may as well calculate the cooeficient of the friction generated :p laughing

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I discovered that about nylon when I used WD40 on some nylon-lined bowden cables on the BM years ago, it made them almost impossible to operate as a result of the swelling of the nylon!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Bazza, you are a smart bear (aren't we all....us bears :D )
The swelling part maybe something to discuss with the missus wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts