Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...another GTA!:thumbs:

I test drove a Brera S recently and last week took another out for a spin. I was victim on my first test drive to shiny car syndrom and fell head over heals for its looks:rolleyes:, so to make sure I was making the right choice I had a second drive last week. Whilst taking it out I was passed by a 147 GTA and suddenly realised that despite being a gorgeous machine, the Brera just doesn't have the presence or sense of occasion that the GTA does IMO.

Also when I got back in my 156 I and buried my foot in the carpet I knew that I would miss the Busso V6 just too much!

So having made up my mind I am going to be selling my 156 and trying to find a 147 to replace her. I am wanting something slightly younger to do some tinkering with, and when I originally bought the 156 I wanted a 147, but they were just out of my price range. So the hunt for one in either black or Nuvola White has started....

One has caught my eye...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1382459

but it does seem very expensive:eek:, does anybody know the car?

Also will be selling a silver 156 in the next month or so...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Link doesn't work?

Good luck with the hunt. Both the White and black are my fav colours too. There is a black one in my town and having compared the two I really wouldn't mind either. The White does attract more attention though andim personally very wary where I park so for a daily driver I'd go for black

·
Registered
900 Posts
Superb!!! again link doesnt work, good luck with the sale and the purchasing

·
Registered
900 Posts
That looks nice mate, pricey though I reckon

EDIT - its a 55 not that bad really, good miles

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, it would have to be in mint condition, I may go and see it as I'm quite close, I wonder if they could be persuaded on the price a little, there isn't even mention of a Q2...

Does look good though!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Id offer 10k and point out u know the cambelt is due etc etc etc and you will need to put the q2 on.

Mine has done 40k and needs the clutch replacing and has had the cambelt done due to age and not milage

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have just checked Parkers and for an independent dealer with 40k miles and in good condition they list it as just under £7k:wow:

I know these are not 'normal' cars so some discrepancy is expected, but thats nearly double the price!

I will try and see what I can haggle if I like it and a my local alfa man says its in good working order.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Offer £11k provided it has a full 12 months warranty. That will cover you for any big bills and justify the cost. Then get the Q2 and cambelt done at your convienience.

Mine still has warrenty and whilst the cambelt should potentially be done, I have a warrenty until the summer and I'm still within alfa's recommendation for servicing I am protected if it fails. Warrenty was tried and tested when the diff went and had no issues with the £3k claim lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good Silvervalver, I have also been told to watch the gear boxes as these can be prone to a bit of abuse if the previous owner liked to thrash things a little.

Not that any of us would know about things like that! :eek:

Q2 would be 1st thing then a scorpion exhaust if they ever come about, and I really like the idea of supercharging/3.7 conversion, but that would depend on how the jobs go this year!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've done the same thing just over 3 years ago - had 156 GTA SW and replaced it with the same... except newer, and a few options.

I don't think the advertised price is that bad.... but you do need to get things like cam belt, suspension wear etc sorted. prior to buy it.

M

·
0 Posts
A very wise decision to stay with the infamous GTA if I may say so!
The 147 is different enough inside and out for it to feel like a very different car IMO. Good luck with your hunt:thumbs:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some Koni FSD's lined up already, and would be putting them on with eibach pro's very soon if I took the car. I already use PF pads with braided hoses and uprated fluid on my 156 so I would be looking to do the same as and when the brakes needed replacing.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it! :D

"A very wise decision to stay with the infamous GTA if I may say so!" Thank you, it just makes more sense! Big lazy GM blah blah blah...;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Why a 147 (other than it's slightly newer), I much prefer the 156 GTA, especially in SW guise?
Me too, but this thread seems to back up what I said in the other thread – that 147s are more popular.

Seems weird to me, but if we all liked the same things, I guess the world would be a dull place.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Worth a look, I like the bit on their website that says in the description " For after Hours Attention Please Call 07836661500" Maybe they do a bit more for your £12k ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting thread Dan,

Why a 147 (other than it's slightly newer), I much prefer the 156 GTA, especially in SW guise?
For no better reason than I want a change, I generally change my car every 2-3years anyway. I love my 156 it is with out question the most entertaining car I have ever owned. Everytime I get in and put my foot down she brings a smile, and only last week I passed a guy on the street who stopped and stared as I drove by.

But I feel it's time for a change and I don't want to buy the same car and being faced with the same dilema that I know alot gta drivers have, with what to replace her with. There really isn't much that has the same mix of engine, looks and in the know respect from others let alone the smiles per mile. The options generally are either too boy racer/Chav/Barry boy, lacking in too much soul or just too damn expensive.

So logically the only thing to replace her with is another GTA. An SW is to close to what I have and the 147 is a different car essentially, but with that same glorious engine and amazing road presence. So it just makes sense, and had I got a 147 first I am pretty sure that I would be doing the same in reverse.

Also 147's were comanding a premium when I got the 156 a few years ago. Surely they have always being slightly younger/newer?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
For no better reason than I want a change, I generally change my car every 2-3years anyway.

But I feel it's time for a change and I don't want to buy the same car and being faced with the same dilema that I know alot gta drivers have, with what to replace her with.
/QUOTE]

Funny because i've had my 156 SW for over 9 years now and the only car I want to replace it with is.........another 156 SW but in GTA guise!

Non Alfistis thinks i'm strange wanting to buy virtually the same car for more money when there is nothing wrong with the one i've got!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts