Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading the thread regarding water pumps failing on the 16v JTD engines, I have a GT. This is making me a bit paranoid and negative. Is there a chance we could have a thread with people who are still on their original waterpump with a car over 3 years old and over say 40,000 on the clock. Then we could see if the failures are the majority or the minority on cars of this age/mileage, and that maybe it is down to a fault in certain pumps.

My GT has done 75,000 miles and is 3 years and 7 months old.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
My GT is just over 3yrs old. for the last service at 58K i got the cambelt and waterpump changed.
One very experienced independent garage i spoke to, said he wouldn't even do the cambelt without the waterpump!

I was bricking it for a week or so, till it gone done!

I trust at 75K you've done the cambelt already????

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got mine done while cambelt was being changed. When I booked it in at my Indie and asked for the pump also to be changed, he said he does it as a matter of course when replacing the cambelt.
2005 156 with 47K miles, just shy of 4 years old when done

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought the car at 72000 miles I realised cambelt and pump needed changing through reading this forum. Asked the small garage I bought it from when I bought it to change belt and I made it very clear repeating myself many times to change waterpump. The guy at the garage said he takes all his cars to a certain garage and he does all the work for him. I phoned my local indie who I knew I could trust to do it instead of the garage I bought it from but he could not book my car in for the work for 3 weeks. This being too long to wait on current mileage (as I use my car everyday and my luck the belts would probably have gone) I get the garage to do the work. A couple of days ago I got the master and slave cylinders replaced at my local indie and asked him to check belts and waterpump. He says the belts definately been done but the waterpump wasnt changed as it looks original :mad: The belts only changed 2 months ago, so do I change the belts again with waterpump at my expense or do I hope the other people on here had faulty pumps and mine is ok! I am very frustrated by this as I kept reminding the guy please remember to change water pump! :mad:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think the general be safe and change 60-65k or 5 years i think. As most that have popped have been in that milage range.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
if you feel you are unable to go back to the garage with your findings ..that is an unfortunate position to be in. my sympathies. if you could at least negotiate a 50/50 cost split, that may be worth a try??

cost of engine repair can be about £1200 from what i've read, plus inconvenience. cost of putting it right now is maybe £350-400. AS you've just bought the car, I expect you're keeping it for some time. GT's are lovely and i'm sure you want to love it, but fear of driving it may prevent that. I would factor that into the financial arguement.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
When I bought the car at 72000 miles I realised cambelt and pump needed changing through reading this forum. Asked the small garage I bought it from when I bought it to change belt and I made it very clear repeating myself many times to change waterpump. The guy at the garage said he takes all his cars to a certain garage and he does all the work for him. I phoned my local indie who I knew I could trust to do it instead of the garage I bought it from but he could not book my car in for the work for 3 weeks. This being too long to wait on current mileage (as I use my car everyday and my luck the belts would probably have gone) I get the garage to do the work. A couple of days ago I got the master and slave cylinders replaced at my local indie and asked him to check belts and waterpump. He says the belts definately been done but the waterpump wasnt changed as it looks original :mad: The belts only changed 2 months ago, so do I change the belts again with waterpump at my expense or do I hope the other people on here had faulty pumps and mine is ok! I am very frustrated by this as I kept reminding the guy please remember to change water pump! :mad:
Did the original garage bill you for the waterpump?, if so get back there pronto!!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
58k. Nov 05 (55) plate still fine

Oh god have I just jinxed it?

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
If you asked them to fit the waterpump, and they haven't, then I don't see why you souldn't go back to them and ask them to fit it! Sure you need to pay for the waterpump, and ok you can offer to pay them a small contribution for labour to fit the pump (say half an hour), but for the rest of the labour to refit the timing gear that's their problem!

Either way I would strongly recommend you get it changed. Don't risk it!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
i changed mine at 54000 miles when i had a full service at the main dealers , however i had to ask them to do the waterpump at the same time they didn't offer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts