Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son got a mobile phone for his birthday. Nothing special about that but he's only nine and I wasn't convinced it was a good idea. It was only a cheap one on the basis that it would probably get lost or broken, and it's PAYG so he can't run up a bill. As it happens it's moderately handy because I can ring him when his tea's ready and he can ring me to tell me where he is.

Now one of his mates, also nine years old, has got an iphone for christmas. It's none of my business but this struck me as a bit silly. Am I just old and out of touch?

(Edit: Not an apple bashing thread. The same logic would apply whatever the expensive electronic communications device.)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
My opinion, you did the right thing mate :)

My worry with kids that young with iphones is they would get filled in or rolled and the phones pinched :(

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
my niece gave her 6yr old son a lap top??? ffs...hes 6:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
Sign of the times methinks.

I assume that the parents know what they are unleashing and have managed to put some controls in place to stop their cherub exposing the worst of the internet to his little innocent brain?

No - I doubt it either, however...............

TBH I don't really have a problem, per se, with kids and smartphones (of any description) as I am a great believer in curiosity. When I was young I sneaked into adult reference libraries to look up the "naughty" stuff which wasn't available at home.

So - bit of caution and control - then let them discover.......

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm probably worrying too much but in all honesty, I worry about young brains being exposed to radiation on a frequent basis. I hope I'm wrong because that'd be a time-bomb waiting to go off :(.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
I can understand where you're comming from Max, not sure if the science is there to back it up.

But they said the wonder material asbestos was safe :(

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
KB, you have the right idea! Not only do I think it is stupid to give such power to a young child, you are also saddling them with a great deal of responsibility. And if they don't feel responsible when they have a couple of hundred pounds worth of phone, then they really should not have it.

I know that is a self-proving argument with a built in catch 22 but there you go! That's a no from me!!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
To an extent we have to move with the times. We dident even have a television in the house when i wad little, these days kids seem to have not just tvs of their but sky+ etc.
Saying that, a basic mobile is not unreasonable. As for worrying about crime, what a sad reflection that is.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
I've always decried the idea of kids having phones. Perhaps my opinion will change when Bethany is older.

Your approach seems reasonable - You have given him a tool which is helpful for your parenting.

If I'd been given a £600 phone at the age of 9, I reckon it'd have been broken within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It's pathetic "keeping up with the Joneses" at it's very worst. I can sense a lot of parents getting into debt over this kind of thing. Would a rational person give a 9 year old £500 to carry around with them???? :mad:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
It seems a bit expensive for a young kid. I'd be equally worrried about the typical kid's propensity for losing or breaking just about anything or the previously mentioned risk of it being stolen and him being beaten up in the process.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As well as the theft and mugging issue, this attitude is part to blame for the society we have today where people just expect things handed to them. As a kid I never would have got anything near as expensive as a gift, I had to save my pocket money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts