Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if it's already been covered but have done a search and can't find any other posts with the same symptons...

Typical :mad: Car booked in for service next week and is now jinxed !

Over the past week the car has been getting rougher, idle has got a bit lumpy and performance is down - no problem I thought as it's going to see the Doctor.

Day before yesterday it ran like a bag of nails from cold and whilst hot, hesitation, loss of power then power surge on the way to work. Came home at night and ran normally.

Went to work this morning and it ran ok for about 5 miles then it turned into a kangeroo :eek: Came home at lunchtime and it was the same again. Just managed to get back to the house after it cut out a few times when I had to stop behind cars waiting to turn.

Noticed when I got out that the exhaust had gone very black (normally just greyish) and sooty after the power loss/power surge.

Have checked all electrical connections etc and all seems fine. Started her up about half an hour ago, she was very lumpy then stalled and now won't start at all. Can't smell any fuel though.

Am presuming from the colour of the exhaust that something has forced the car to run rich - is this likely to be the Lambda ? Does it control the fuel mixture etc ?

Another question, does the 1.8 8 valve have a diagnostic plug ?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Sounds like the lambada to me. Another candidate is apparently the airflow meter. Both can be checked by your dealer without them dismantling anything, so should be quite painless. Except to your wallet - Lambo is £90 for a proper Alfa part.

Ralf S.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have been back out to the beast to see if should would start. Normally when I turn the ignition key and as the warning lights etc come on I hear a 'ziss' type of sound before the car starts.

I'm wondering if this noise is a relay switching on or the fuel pump getting to work - coincidence that this noise has gone and the car won't start ?

Any thoughts - please :rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nik have you tried the Fault code list at the top of the page it should work on yours this should confirm wether the lambda is FUBAR :D :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
daiblack said:
Nik have you tried the Fault code list at the top of the page it should work on yours this should confirm wether the lambda is FUBAR :D :D
doh :eek: hadn't even seen that. Will give it a go this morning - it would be the answer to my prayers if it works...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
daiblack said:
This doesn't work on my 8v Silverstone, no flashing lights anywhere :(

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the relays out for the Lambda, Fuel Pump etc. Cleaned contacts, replaced the fuses and hey presto she started.

Still running like a bag of nails, seems to be over fuelled (black and wet) judging by the colour of the exhaust. Will have a look at the air flow meter next when I find where it is....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts