Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
I take the train to work four days a week, which just feels like exposing myself to risk, so I shall work from home for a week or more.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I take the train to work four days a week, which just feels like exposing myself to risk, so I shall work from home for a week or more.
Do you have have a medical issue that makes catching it an issue...or others near you that are vulnerable?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Many young Chinese doctors tasked with treating ill patients have died from the disease. Being in their age demographic and in otherwise good health they should have had good resistance to the disease. There is a hypothesis that the severity of the infection is also related to the length of exposure to the virus. The more you are exposed the greater the severity of the symptoms. Who would like to be in the prolonged exposure test group?
I’m going along with anything that minimises exposure to this thing, thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Not a logical argument. Long exposure will increase your chance of contracting...but cant increase severity...viruses dont work like that. I certainly will not be hiding away to stop me getting it...it's far too mild an illness for that....but should I contract it then obviously I will have to be responsible and stay at home to prevent giving it to someone I'll who might be more at risk than me. The main thing to remember is that it's a very mild illness for the vast majority.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
I have heart disease and my doctor reckons it would not kill me. He reckons the strain of virus we have is no more harmful than the flu. He says it’ll be gone when the warm weather arrives. He says it’s only the people that have an immune system that can’t fight it that it will kill. He said there is a deadly stain of the virus that’s only in China that does kill pretty much anyone.
He also said an inoculation is due out next year just like the flu jab.

On another subject of overreactions. Does Anyone have any spare toilet paper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F—-ing witch doctor by the sound of it! What the F—k does he know that the rest of the world medical profession don’t. Are the deaths in Italy fictitious?

And flu kills healthy people who don’t have heart troubles. And this ain’t flu, they don’t understand it, or how it will morph.

People should take precautions and others shouldn’t be offering snake oil solutions.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Actually...technically, it is flu....a potentially nasty one for the weak...but flu none the less. Dont forget that world wide about 12000 people have died from this year's version of the normal seasonal flu since 1 Oct 2019 too. So let's not over dramatise it...hysteria will help no one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hysteria doesn't help true but stop saying this Is a flu. Even if It Is not a big deal for most of the people this Is not comparabile to a simple seasonal flu.

In Italy we've 15k people with symptoms, 1,5k of them are today fighting for their Life in intensive care at hospital, and 1k passed away.

And considering that manu people doesn't have any symptoms It involves that without precauzioni the infection spread very fast.

Inviato dal mio SM-G970F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
...and that is one of the main problems of course...it's so mild for many that they might not even know they have it.
I'm just saying that technically and virally it is a type of seasonal flu.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Sizewell, I’d like to think my doctor was talking to me on a level of one-to-one, not out to deceive, and for what purpose would he?
This is what wiki says

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).[10] The disease has spread globally since 2019, resulting in the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic.[11][12] Common symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. Muscle pain, sputum production and sore throat are some of the less common symptoms.[6][13] While the majority of cases result in mild symptoms,[14] some progress to pneumonia and multi-organ failure.[11][15] The deaths per number of diagnosed cases is estimated at between 1% and 5% but varies by age and other health conditions.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not a logical argument. Long exposure will increase your chance of contracting...but cant increase severity...viruses dont work like that. I certainly will not be hiding away to stop me getting it...it's far too mild an illness for that....but should I contract it then obviously I will have to be responsible and stay at home to prevent giving it to someone I'll who might be more at risk than me. The main thing to remember is that it's a very mild illness for the vast majority.
Ok, read this.
What does COVID-19 do to the body?

What they say is the greater the exposure, the more virus you are inclined to be infected with, the more likely the immune system will be overwhelmed and the more severe the symptoms will be. Not absolutely proven but not illogical at all. Read the article and gain some knowledge. It is well written and informative. Please take the time.

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Sizewell, I’d like to think my doctor was talking to me on a level of one-to-one, not out to deceive, and for what purpose would he?
This is what wiki says

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).[10] The disease has spread globally since 2019, resulting in the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic.[11][12] Common symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. Muscle pain, sputum production and sore throat are some of the less common symptoms.[6][13] While the majority of cases result in mild symptoms,[14] some progress to pneumonia and multi-organ failure.[11][15] The deaths per number of diagnosed cases is estimated at between 1% and 5% but varies by age and other health conditions.

I think the suggestion is that he's ill informed, not that he's deliberately deceiving you.

I'd take the word of an expert in the specific field over a local GP personally. Which isn't to say you should panic. Just that you should be sensible, and perhaps that you should be less dismissive.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I can’t see that Bazza with him talking to me in the way he was. I’d like to think that if he was ill informed - then where did he receive his ill information from with him doing what he does for a living as long as he has.
Over the last 3 years they’ve told us Brexit will have a negative impact on the U.K. and I haven’t seen any ill effects from that.
I’d rather listen to someone that’s very qualified in a certain field talking to me on a personal level as oppose to someone that I can’t question face-2-face with my concerns. That’s my conclusion of walking away more assured & convinced as opposed to listening to media reporters

·
Registered
44,837 Posts
Situation in England:

How many cases are there in your local council area?*
Oxfordshire: 22
Kensington and Chelsea: 21
Hampshire: 20
Hertfordshire: 20
Surrey: 16
Barnet: 14
Devon: 14
Camden: 13
Southwark: 13
Westminster: 13
Kent: 11
Brighton and Hove: 9
Lambeth: 9
Essex: 9
Liverpool: 8
Wolverhampton: 8
Ealing: 8
Cumbria: 8
Torbay: 7
Manchester: 7
Leeds: 7
Wandsworth: 7
Buckinghamshire: 7
Oldham: 6
Sutton: 6
Tower Hamlets: 6
Lancashire: 6
Northamptonshire: 6
Nottinghamshire: 6
Nottingham: 5
Bristol, City of: 5
Cornwall and Isles of Scilly: 5
Trafford: 5
Wirral: 5
Newcastle upon Tyne: 5
Hackney and City of London: 5
Hammersmith and Fulham: 5
Hounslow: 5
Lewisham: 5
Gloucestershire: 5
York: 4
Bracknell Forest: 4
Windsor and Maidenhead: 4
Wokingham: 4
Wiltshire: 4
Dudley: 4
Bradford: 4
Barking and Dagenham: 4
Brent: 4
Bromley: 4
Hillingdon: 4
Merton: 4
Derbyshire: 4
North Yorkshire: 4
Staffordshire: 4
Warwickshire: 4
West Sussex: 4
Luton: 3
Reading: 3
Cheshire West and Chester: 3
Shropshire: 3
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole: 3
Bolton: 3
Bury: 3
Wigan: 3
Sheffield: 3
North Tyneside: 3
Coventry: 3
Haringey: 3
Leicestershire: 3
Stockton-on-Tees: 2
Blackpool: 2
Leicester: 2
Swindon: 2
Southend-on-Sea: 2
Medway: 2
Slough: 2
Milton Keynes: 2
Rochdale: 2
Stockport: 2
Barnsley: 2
Birmingham: 2
Calderdale: 2
Enfield: 2
Harrow: 2
Kingston upon Thames: 2
Worcestershire: 2
Warrington: 1
Kingston upon Hull, City of: 1
East Riding of Yorkshire: 1
North Lincolnshire: 1
Derby: 1
Herefordshire, County of: 1
South Gloucestershire: 1
Plymouth: 1
Peterborough: 1
West Berkshire: 1
Isle of Wight: 1
County Durham: 1
Dorset: 1
Tameside: 1
Sefton: 1
Rotherham: 1
Sunderland: 1
Walsall: 1
Kirklees: 1
Gateshead: 1
Bexley: 1
Croydon: 1
Greenwich: 1
Havering: 1
Islington: 1
Redbridge: 1
Richmond upon Thames: 1
Waltham Forest: 1
Cambridgeshire: 1
Lincolnshire: 1
Somerset: 1
Suffolk: 1
*figures are for English local authority areas only

At the moment it looks like the south east and possibly Thames Valley is getting it worst.

·
Registered
37,502 Posts
Those only account for known cases... It could be that a lot of people (A vast majority even?) are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms and don't realise that they have it.

The company based next to my workplace had a confirmed case on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I’m not sure how it can be 100% confirmed if you’re told not to visit your GP. You could have a common cold. I’d like to think to 100% confirm this, you’d need a blood test

·
Administrator
86,761 Posts
41 - 60 of 309 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.