Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
44,837 Posts
Italy is doing exactly the right things in my opinion. All affected countries need to take similar actions as and when required. Get ahead of this virus and control it until we can kill it!

·
Registered
37,502 Posts
I think Boris will also close the schools. Children are a very effective reservoir and spreader of viruses, even if in the case of covid19 they don't suffer from them too badly themselves.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Having the money to treat people is irrelevant when there is no way to actually treat them - as is happening in Italy.The only way to have any way of coping with this without huge numbers of deaths is to slow the rate of spread.
But lots have died through not getting treatment or getting it too late....which in most people (people with other underlying problems) is just oxygen therapy....lots of it. Don't forget that quite a few of the deaths where people whos liofe expectancy was already low due to illness....CORVID19 just bought forward the inevitable. Not saying that's acceptable....just how it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But lots have died through not getting treatment or getting it too late....which in most people (people with other underlying problems) is just oxygen therapy....lots of it. Don't forget that quite a few of the deaths where people whos liofe expectancy was already low due to illness....CORVID19 just bought forward the inevitable. Not saying that's acceptable....just how it is.
This Is only partially true, there was no delay in therapy buy the evolution of this desease is fast, very fast. The face that are dying old people (avg in Italy Is 81) doesn't male It lesa dramatic...

Inviato dal mio SM-G970F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
If nothing else - this is a good dry run for when (and I expect it will be "when" and not "if") some future pandemic virus is one that has a 50% mortality rate and is as likely to kill a fit and healthy 28 year old as it is to kill an octogenarian.

When that hits - all niceties around queueing for bog roll and waiting for NHS call backs will go straight out the window and we will all need to lock in and huddle round the wireless while sipping water and sharing out the dog biscuits. Society will go feral in 24 hours - maybe less.

Someone at work was saying the other day that they would be fine as they have an allotment. Hmmmm - I reckon you might be fine if you have an allotment and a Tiger Tank and your own private security team and a flame thrower - otherwise you will just have a free-to-the-biggest-bastid take away. Same goes for those with a veggie patch in the garden.

You might be safe on a small homestead in Wyoming or deep in the Urals I suppose.

On that happy note I wish you a solid night's sleep and clear airways (y)

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
My boy will be happy - Leo is closing the schools.
My boy isn't.....I am sure our watertight "border" will stop this virus.....interesting times for N.Ireland. :oops:
Just listened to bumbling Boris extol the great British stiff upper lip.....I despair.

Really feel for Italy.....they are doing the best they can.....then Trump comes on and blames Europe...the man is an imbecile.

My weekly shop tomorrow will see me empty the shelves of the only thing that can protect against this virus.
It's a black liquid........and 4.2% (y)

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
It is a blimmin good job that all the constitutional and economic experts on the internet are now immunology and virology professors.
Been thinking along similar lines, although easy to say as someone who's fortunate to be fit and strong and never had any illness of note. I'm sure I'd be thinking differently if God forbid I was going through chemo or similar, or new someone close who was.

Without making everyone a prisoner in their own home for a set period, it's inevitable that it'll continue to spread.
I go to a gym 4 times a week so guess I'm a sitting duck to catch it - lots of sweaty bodies in a confined space and constant touching of various machines and apparatus. As someone with a seemingly good immune system it doesn't worry me in the slightest, but self-isolation as a self employed business owner would be a big big issue.

It's difficult to know what the Government should do - they have to be seen to be doing something proactive rather than sitting back and do nothing.
“God forbid I was going through chemo or similar, or new someone close who was.”

Trolls are no problem, once recognised, one can simply dole out the grief, until they **** off.

But what does one do about seemingly decent folk that feel they can comment on any topic, as a means of appearing informed, nay intelligent!

I suppose one can see the funny side of it all. After all, I can claim the moral high ground, in respect of this viral outbreak, given Multiple Myeloma has a certain inevitability about it.

Perhaps, I should publish the list of fatal illnesses and the debilitating consequences that befall those victims, before the draw their last breath.

That will entertain some folk for a while, until we get Brexit done.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
“God forbid I was going through chemo or similar, or new someone close who was.”

Trolls are no problem, once recognised, one can simply dole out the grief, until they **** off.

But what does one do about seemingly decent folk that feel they can comment on any topic, as a means of appearing informed, nay intelligent!

I suppose one can see the funny side of it all. After all, I can claim the moral high ground, in respect of this viral outbreak, given Multiple Myeloma has a certain inevitability about it.

Perhaps, I should publish the list of fatal illnesses and the debilitating consequences that befall those victims, before the draw their last breath.

That will entertain some folk for a while, until we get Brexit done.
And there lies the rub.....I am in the unenviable position of perhaps having to go into work today pondering over whether I should self isolate myself.
Since my lymphoma,every fourth Thursday I have to get a drip Infusion of Immunoglobulin....to boost my immune system..... without it I would be immunodeficient.
I got my dose yesterday.
I don't want to be seen as a chancer and in reality it was my wife who is a nurse who told me to seriously think it over.
I will talk to my line manager this morning....she also had mentioned it.
I could always work from home if needs be.

Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
A lot depends on what is being classed as 'underlying health issues' as i'm struggling to think of anyone i know (and there's a lot of them) in the 60+ age category who couldn't be described in that way to some extent. Its inevitable for all of us by the way :)

·
Premium Member
77,340 Posts
A lot depends on what is being classed as 'underlying health issues' as i'm struggling to think of anyone i know (and there's a lot of them) in the 60+ age category who couldn't be described in that way to some extent. Its inevitable for all of us by the way :)
I know what you mean, but I'm a little weary of colleagues, friends and others reminding us that death is inevitable, in the moment when some speculative modelling suggests that many thousands of people could lose their lives. I know many of them were already possibly at the gates, and/or likely to succumb to something or other before long.

My dad rang me last night, to ask me to shift a dishwasher out, ready for a new one. I had to mention my sore throat, cough and headache. He had to withdraw the request. He's 80 this year, has recently recovered from surgery. He has underlying conditions, and my mam has a dicky heart.

I don't feel like saying goodbye to them yet, and I appreciate there are all sorts of tensions, inconsistencies, and unresolved aspects to that sort of aspiration. It just started to feel real for me and mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Clearly a resounding 'no' to my first question. Thank you. I hope no one thinks I was intending to be proactive. I wasn't, I was just interested in people's views.

For what it's worth, I think Italy's government has taken clear and decisive action, with the welfare of it's people a heart - very much to Italy's credit. In comparison, UK gov has been vague and woolly, with the latest edict simply seeming to be 'stiffen your upper lips' and 'suck it up'

People seem to be taking their own action, sensibly. London incredibly quiet this morning I'd say about 10% of the usual number of people. Empty buses and trains.

I think I'll be doing the same on Monday.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
And there lies the rub.....I am in the unenviable position of perhaps having to go into work today pondering over whether I should self isolate myself.
Since my lymphoma,every fourth Thursday I have to get a drip Infusion of Immunoglobulin....to boost my immune system..... without it I would be immunodeficient.
I got my dose yesterday.
I don't want to be seen as a chancer and in reality it was my wife who is a nurse who told me to seriously think it over.
I will talk to my line manager this morning....she also had mentioned it.
I could always work from home if needs be.

Will keep you all posted.
You know the answer. You are not alone in this, think of your family! Stay safe.

If there are those on this site that have scant regard about this issue, other than another pointless debate: think Brexit, just think how many there are out there that couldn't give a chit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gentlemen I understand your concern, consider that the first case here in Italy was found 3 weeks ago. In the first week was closed only the city were the virus was found, but in few days we realized that in reality that was just a case.

We've cities were we're loosing almost a generation of citizen. It's true they were almost all over 80, not in perfect shape, but this doesn't matter. They were people, they had a full life, they had nepews, interest, cars in their garage.

This virus will affect all of us, soon or late, UK, USA, no one will be excluded, but you've the chance to prevent and manage the situation since you're 10 days in delay respect us.

Stay home, protect your self and people around you. Ask to your old relatives and friends to stay home, we need to change our way of life, and we'll be out of this situation.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
.....and listening to radio at the moment....if Leeds,my team aren't promoted.....I don't give one fiddlers......who cares.....life is more important.

And Boris.....wtf are you thinking?

All your local mass gatherings are being cancelled.....you are the captain of the Titanic.....you are another Trump imbecile.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have heart disease and my doctor reckons it would not kill me. He reckons the strain of virus we have is no more harmful than the flu. He says it’ll be gone when the warm weather arrives. He says it’s only the people that have an immune system that can’t fight it that it will kill. He said there is a deadly stain of the virus that’s only in China that does kill pretty much anyone.
He also said an inoculation is due out next year just like the flu jab.

On another subject of overreactions. Does Anyone have any spare toilet paper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Imbecile Trump is currently eating humble pie and calling a national emergency....... Boris is now the only imbecile left.
Sure.... Britain knows best....God help us.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
...and the lack of integrity and humility spewn out by VP Spence is nauseating as he fawns over Trump's care only for America's love of money.......it is truly despicable.
Not a jot of sympathy for the thousands of deaths in China.....and "culpable" Europe.
Disgraceful.
Lost too much money on the stock market Donald ???

21 - 40 of 309 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.