Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
301 - 309 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Couldn’t agree more with that Alfaitalia.

Anyway, I’m off to work soon whilst I still have a paid job. Unlike the many who worked in the pub/club entertainment sectors.
I just hope they can economically get by in these uncertain times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
Hmmm...I am not sure why respondents to this thread get upset about describing the dire economic situation. It is not a competition at all between having to work and having to do your part in slowing the virus. Some of us have it relatively easy (connect on line and do basically the same job you do in an office) versus some of us that have to deal with the public to make a living. Sure, if the government is paying me no matter what, great! But if not I will suffer. It does not mean that I will not do what it is required of me to slow the virus spread (by the way, I am in the 'lucky' first group).
It's not describing the dire economic situation that is upsetting people here.
What is upsetting are the attempts by two posters to underplay the seriousness of the pandemic, implying that the rules on self isolation, social distancing need not apply to them as they are tough and don't consider they are putting other lives at risk by their irresponsible behaviour, and encouraging others to do the same with their ignorant comments on a public forum. This combined with the suggestion that Italians are somehow the authors of their own misfortune and that we'll be fine here coz we're somehow better than them!!!

The UK has one of the lowest rates of intensive care units to population ratios in Europe (6th from bottom of the league and well below Italy) so get ready UK.
We ALL need to take every measure possible to minimise the spread of this virus to give the NHS a fighting chance to cope as numbers of life-threatening cases inevitably rise exponentially.

If Clay was only pointing out how difficult this will be for him financially (as it will be for countless others in a similar boat) I'm sure he would have all our sympathy along with perhaps even some positive ideas and advice to help.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
O
Ok....so personally I think this thread along with the other COVID 19 based threads should be shut down by the mods now...we surely must have rules about trolling, personal insults and abuse. There are people making good comments on both sides of the debate...offering good points and valid discussions...and then there are the rest who, unable to put together a logical reply resort to name calling and plain bad manners to anyone who does not see things from their point of view. Debating and listening to the opposing point of view is what happens in civilised society....not name calling and personal attack. A couple of posts I made right at the beginning of this thread were fact based and reasonable, based on the science at the time...several didn't agree...fair enough...but instead of just simply putting forward their view with reasons why I might be wrong, brainless comments where returned. Many of the posts on this thread are clearly fuelled by tabloid or social media hysteria with very little in the way of facts quoted. Due mainly to this I've made the decision to not reply to ANY thread relating to ANYTHING not at least slightly related to the car sections of the forum...unless I'm directly asked a question...or its the jokes thread...love one liners me! I will read some though...(I may even click the odd like if I think the writer has an IQ in double figures!)....just to make me feel good that my intelligence level is not down there with many of the contributors. Might I suggest that anyone with an ounce of common sense join me.
Adios amigos!
Ok what scientific evidence says just let it spread and burn out, if you didn't make stupid comments maybe there would be more polite replies, I've never insulted anyone other to call out some of the replies as utter rubbish, hiding behind oh lets shut down the thread, is childish and quite frankly if you're off thats great for the rest of us, I haven't found one reply from you in any lounge that was remotely helpful no big loss.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
What is upsetting are the attempts by two posters to underplay the seriousness of the pandemic, implying that the rules on self isolation, social distancing need not apply to them as they are tough and don't consider they are putting other lives at risk by their irresponsible behaviour, and encouraging others to do the same with their ignorant comments on a public forum. This combined with the suggestion that Italians are somehow the authors of their own misfortune and that we'll be fine here coz we're somehow better than them!!!

The UK has one of the lowest rates of intensive care units to population ratios in Europe (6th from bottom of the league and well below Italy) so get ready UK.
We ALL need to take every measure possible to minimise the spread of this virus to give the NHS a fighting chance to cope as numbers of life-threatening cases inevitably rise exponentially.

If Clay was only pointing out how difficult this will be for him financially (as it will be for countless others in a similar boat) I'm sure he would have all our sympathy along with perhaps even some positive ideas and advice to help.
Spot on Chris....top post.
Italian death figures even though still horrendous have come down slightly....that's a tiny glimmer of hope.
:)
We in the UK and Ireland have to steel ourselves for coming bad times but with strict self isolation,social distancing and good hygiene we can get through this.
Think about it this way.......by following these health guidelines you become one of these heroes.....you yourself are saving lives like the NHS.....I know it sounds naff....hero and all that......but it's true.

Stay safe everyone.....it may take some time...but we will get through this. (y)

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Two years ago the BBC broadcast a programme called 'Contagion: The BBC Four Pandemic'. I watched it again yesterday on iPlayer, I would recommend viewing it to all those who are attempting to debate what is gong on right now. Then there will be some questions to ask oneself.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts

Finally, someone has got it!

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Spot on Chris....top post.
Italian death figures even though still horrendous have come down slightly....that's a tiny glimmer of hope.
:)
We in the UK and Ireland have to steel ourselves for coming bad times but with strict self isolation,social distancing and good hygiene we can get through this.
Think about it this way.......by following these health guidelines you become one of these heroes.....you yourself are saving lives like the NHS.....I know it sounds naff....hero and all that......but it's true.

Stay safe everyone.....it may take some time...but we will get through this. (y)
It does sound naff. But well intentioned Naffiness.

Don’t do it too often though ronan. It make me feel queazy!

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts

This is the perfect post - I wish I'd been quicker on the draw to close the thread right after it.

The central point of what has got people incredulous and aggravated is spot on.

I am closing it now, and we will try to draw a line under it. One thing I will say is that the level of vitriol and insulting which this descended into is totally unacceptable, regardless of the level of disagreement. That happening again is going to get any person throwing the insults banned.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
Indeed.
But back to the original thread title.
Why do we feel entitled to answer such a question?
Let’s ask and answer questions within the realms of things we might understand.
Meanwhile , what Ronan said.

301 - 309 of 309 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.