Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really can't make up my mind.

On the one hand, numbers of people seem low and it seems to be abating in China.

On the other, Italy's mortality rate is high - but is that just because of social and demographic issues?

I can't see it (lockdown) happening in the UK. Too big a financial hit. But my employer is slowly drip-feeding measures, first no business travel to China/Asia, then no international travel, soon skype will take over all face to face meetings, desk tops being very rapidly replaced with laptops for home working.

So I'm torn between it all being a fuss over nothing, in the context on 7.5 billion people on Earth, and it being something else.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
It’s to prevent transmission so it stops. People can carry the virus and not be affected but it get to somebody vulnerable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s to prevent transmission so it stops. People can carry the virus and not be affected but it get to somebody vulnerable.
Yes, I know that.

But is it OTT? Can vulnerable people be protected and supported? "Cocooned" as I think BJ put it.

Can it even be policed enough to be successful on that scale, in a democracy that lacks the legal mandate never mind the practical resources to do so.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
You could always promote its transmission amongst crims by careful policing...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It's simple really. We don't yet know how widely the virus will spread, nor how many it will kill. We do know we can't inoculate against it. Evidence so far suggests it could spread very rapidly and might kill large numbers. Therefore it's common sense to take every possible measure to slow down the spread.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts

So the answer to the OP's question is - no. The real question is if it is going to do any good.

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
The BBC informs me that as of today, Italy has more than 12,000 confirmed cases and a death toll of 827. In my opinion, I do not think that Italy has over-reacted.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You are never going to stop it spreading to a certain extent....that's just how viruses are....and of course to most of us it's a pretty mild illness that wont really be an issue to deal with. So instead of trying to stop us all getting it and destroying the economy on the way...just let it spread until it burns out...we all just keep going to work...corvid19 or not. And with the money the country makes/saves by keeping the economy going we should be able to afford to protect or treat the cancer victims, elderly and otherwise ill folks who would be at risk of death if they caught it. Unless they are stupid smokers who bought their lung disease on themselves despite being warned that it kills you for the last fifty plus years....**** em! Spending a fortune trying to stop the healthy majority getting an illness that's not much worse than a bad head cold seems stupid to me.

·
Registered
Alfetta GTV6 supercharged racer, Alfa 159 3.2 awd Ti, Alfetta 2000 sedan
35 Posts
Aus put travel bans on travel from Italy, Iran, China. Ferarri F1 team had special dispensation to travel for Aus.GP. but some crew members from Maclaren F1 team and one other team (Hass?) have tested positive for corona virus and in isolation. Trump has now banned all travel to and from Europe to US.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You are never going to stop it spreading to a certain extent....that's just how viruses are....and of course to most of us it's a pretty mild illness that wont really be an issue to deal with. So instead of trying to stop us all getting it and destroying the economy on the way...just let it spread until it burns out...we all just keep going to work...corvid19 or not. And with the money the country makes/saves by keeping the economy going we should be able to afford to protect or treat the cancer victims, elderly and otherwise ill folks who would be at risk of death if they caught it. Unless they are stupid smokers who bought their lung disease on themselves despite being warned that it kills you for the last fifty plus years....**** em! Spending a fortune trying to stop the healthy majority getting an illness that's not much worse than a bad head cold seems stupid to me.
Having the money to treat people is irrelevant when there is no way to actually treat them - as is happening in Italy.The only way to have any way of coping with this without huge numbers of deaths is to slow the rate of spread.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Been thinking along similar lines, although easy to say as someone who's fortunate to be fit and strong and never had any illness of note. I'm sure I'd be thinking differently if God forbid I was going through chemo or similar, or new someone close who was.

Without making everyone a prisoner in their own home for a set period, it's inevitable that it'll continue to spread.
I go to a gym 4 times a week so guess I'm a sitting duck to catch it - lots of sweaty bodies in a confined space and constant touching of various machines and apparatus. As someone with a seemingly good immune system it doesn't worry me in the slightest, but self-isolation as a self employed business owner would be a big big issue.

It's difficult to know what the Government should do - they have to be seen to be doing something proactive rather than sitting back and do nothing.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
The 'herd' will be absolutely fine. It seems there's people who have tested positive for it but not had any symptoms whatsoever. There'll be people who have/had it and won't know they have/have had it.
The concern is for the comparatively tiny minority with existing (serious) health conditions.

·
Registered
37,502 Posts
Two people in my family are what I would consider most at risk. I don't think there is a way to stop everyone getting it, all that can be done is to spread the impact over a longer time so that the NHS is able to cope better.

I have been feeling ill with cold/flu symptoms for the last few days. I know it probably isn't Covid19 but you cannot help but wonder...

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
It's all about slowing the virus spreading so that the health system can keep up - and all that without killing the economy.

So no: Italy has not overreacted. It has perhaps not gone far enough quickly enough...

·
Registered
41 Posts
The virus entered Europe many weeks before any action was taken. Italy was the only European nation to block flights to and from China, but viruses do not block them at the airport or at the borders.

The situation is very serious, in Italy the public health system is very efficient and highly skilled, but despite this, in some areas the capacity of intensive care has been saturated.

There is no choice but to block everything as we are doing now, economically it will be a disaster but health comes first.

It is inevitable that this virus will infect most of the population so we need to make sure that this infection slows down so that the system can react.

Those who say that it is a simple flu do not want to see the problem, for weak subjects (the elderly or previous diseases) it is very dangerous and over 60 years of age it is not difficult to end up in intensive care with viral pneumonia. It's not a joke.

The Italian mortality rate actually stratifying it by age is lower than in the rest of the world, but Italy is the country where we live longest in Europe, the average age of deaths is 81 years.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.